This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Damping Steel Sheet for Resistance Spot Welding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Weldable vibration damping steel sheet consists of two skin steel sheets and viscoelastic resin film that contains filler metal powder to get electric conductivity. In this study, it is investigated the effect of filler powder (type; size and content) on weld defects.
The defects are observed when the resin layer is thick comparing with the powder diameter or the content of metal powder is insufficient.
The defect with bare skin sheets which is spherical hole is caused by joule overheating. Another defect is observed when Zn-Fe coated skin sheets are used. According to the observation of welding current and voltage wave forms. It is formed by an arc electric discharge between metal powder and skin sheet, which is caused by cutting off current paths due to the evaporation of Zn-Fe coated layer.
Based on these results, it is determined the suitable filler powder to produce VDSS with good weldability.
CitationMatsuda, Y., Kabasawa, M., Fujii, Y., and Watanabe, Y., "Vibration Damping Steel Sheet for Resistance Spot Welding," SAE Technical Paper 910194, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910194.
- Matsuda, Y., Kabasawa, M. et al. “Pin-hole in Welding of Vibration Damping Steel Sheet by Bypass Method”, PREPRINTS OF THE NATIONAL MEETING OF J.W.S. No.42, p.216 (SPRING 1988)
- Nakamura, T., Otani, T. et al. “Spot weldability of vibration damping steel sheets with electrical conductivity”, PREPRINTS OF THE NATIONAL MEETING OF J.W.S. No. 43, p.214 (AUTUMN 1988)
- Tanaka, Y., Sato, M. et al. “Spot Weldability of the Vibration Damping Steel Sheet”, Journal of The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan No.9 vol.75 p. 230 (SEPTEMBER 1989)
- Shinozaki, M., Matsumoto, Y et al. “Effect of Intermediate Layer on Weldabilities in Steel-plastic-steel Laminates”, Journal of The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan No. 9 vol.75 p.222 (SEPTEMBER 1989)
- Fukui, K., Taka, T. et al. “Spot weldability of damping sheet”, Journal of The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan No. 5 vol.73 p. 266 (MARCH 1986)
- Matsuda, Y., Kabasawa, M. “A Study on Pin-hole Type Defects in Resistance Spot welding of Weldable Vibration Damping Steel Sheets”, IIW Doc. No. III-941-89 p.3 (SEPTEMBER 1989)
- Taka, T., Fukui, K. et al. “Development of spot weldable damping steel sheet”, IIW Doc. No. III-956-90 (JULY 1990)