This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Modeling of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism in an Application of a 4-Cylinder Plunger Pump System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of a mathematical model of StillerSmith Mechanism for the application of a 4-cylinder plunger pump system is presented. The magnitude and direction of the internal dynamic load are obtained by solving a set of equations using the overall geometric parameters, prescribed motions, inertia distribution, and applied torques on the system. The simulation presented here yields the history of the internal loads, which are then normalized with respect to the required peak output load on the plungers, through an entire rotary cycle. The approach allows for the development of further design criteria through parametric sensitivity studies.
CitationWang, W., Mucino, V., Smith, J., Lyons, D. et al., "Dynamic Modeling of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism in an Application of a 4-Cylinder Plunger Pump System," SAE Technical Paper 910073, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910073.
- Smith, James E. The Dynamic Analysis of an Elliptic Trammel Mechanism for Possible Use to An Internal Combustion Engine With a Floating Crank West Virginia University 1984
- Stiller, A.H. Smith, J.E. “Oscillatory Motion Apparatus,” The U. S. Patent 4682569 July 28 1987
- Smith, J.E. McKisic A.D. “Stiller-Smith versus Conventional V-8 Bearing Load and Friction Comparison,” The Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers D4 203 1989
- Paut, B. “Analytical Dynamic of Mechanisms-Computer Oriented Overview,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 1975 10 Pergamon Press. 481 507
- Mucino, V.H. Wang, W.G. Smith, J.E. “Parametric Design Modeling of IC Engine Systems,” The Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Issue D2 Journal of Automobile Engineering 204 1990
- Sandor, George N. Erdman, Arthur G. Advanced Mechanism Design: Analysis and Synthesis 1 2 Prentice Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1984