This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle-resolved Flame Structure Analysis of Turbulent Premixed Engine Flames
Published May 01, 1990 by Associazione Tecnica Dell'Automobile in Italy
Annotation ability available
The structure of turbulent flames was examined in a square-piston engine. Submicron-sized smoke particles were added to the homogeneous propane/air mixture. The Mie-scattering of these particles allowed to visualize two-dimensional flame contours. A copper vapour laser generated pulsed laser sheets at a frequency up to 12 kHz.
The flame contours were evaluated with digital image processing methods: fractal analysis, complex Fourier transform procedure and statistical flame contour analysis. The following flame parameters have been deduced applying these methods: Fourier factor, combustion zone thickness, mean radius of curvature, fractal dimension, wrinkling factor, flame-let crossing frequency, integral length scale and flame front thickness.
CitationZiegler, G., Meinhardt, P., Herweg, R., and Maly, R., "Cycle-resolved Flame Structure Analysis of Turbulent Premixed Engine Flames," SAE Technical Paper 905001, 1990.
- Zur Loye, A.O. Bracco, F.V. “Two-Dimensional Visualization of Premixed-Charge Flame Structure in an IC Engine” SAE Paper 870454 1987
- Baritaud, T.A. Green, R.M. “A 2-D Flame Visualization Technique Applied to the I.C. Engine” SAE Paper 860025 1986
- Ziegler, G.F.W. Zettlitz, A. Meinhardt, P. Herweg, R. Maly, R. Pfister, W. “Cycle-Resolved Two-Dimensional Flame and Flow Visualization in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 881634 1988
- Chew, T.C. Bray, K.N.C. Britter, R.E. “Laser Tomography of Turbulent Premixed Bunsen Flames” Combust. Flame 75 165 174 1989
- Chew, T.C. PhD Thesis Cambridge University 1988
- Bray, K.N.C. “Turbulent Flows with Premixed Reactants, Turbulent Reacting Flows” Libby P.A. Williams F.A. 115 183 Springer, Berlin 1980
- Bray, K.N.C. Libby, P.A. “Passage Times and Flamelet Crossing Frequencies in Premixed Turbulent Combustion” Combust. Sci. and Tech. 47 253 274
- Cant, R.S. Bray, K.N.C “Strained Laminar Flamelet Calculations of Premixed Turbulent Combustion in a Closed Kessel” 22nd Symposium (International) on Combustion Seattle 1988
- Arcoumanis, C Bicen, A.F. Vafidis, C Whitelaw, J.H. “Three-Dimensional Flow Field in Four-Stroke Model Engine” SAE Paper 841360 1984
- Fraser, R.A. Felton, P.G. Bracco, F.V. Santavicca, D.A. “Preliminary Turbulence Length Scale Measurements in a Motored IC Engine” SAE Paper No. 860021 1886
- Ikegami, M. Shioji, M. Nishimoto, K. “Turbulence Intensity and Spatial Intergral Scale during Compression and Expansion Strokes in a Four-Cycle Reciprocating Engine” SAE Paper 870372 1987
- Smith, J.R. “Turbulent Flame Structure in a Homogeneous-Charge Engine” SAE Paper 820043 1982
- Abraham, J. Williams, F.A. Bracco, F.V. “A Discussion of Turbulent Flame Structure in Premixed Charges” SAE Paper 850345 1985
- Smith, J.R. “The Influence of Turbulence on Flame Structure in an Engine” Uzkan T. 67 72 1984
- Gatowski, J.A. Heywood, J.B. “Effects of Valveshrouding and Squish on Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 852093 1985
- Heywood, J.B. Vilchis, F.R. “Comparison of Flame Development in a Spark-Ignition Engine Fueled with Propane and Hydrogen” Combust. Sci. Technol. 38 313 324 1984
- Williams, F.A. “Combustion Theory” 2nd Edition The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company Menlo Park 1985
- Gouldin, F.C. “An Application of Fractals to Modeling Premixed Turbulent Flames” Combust. Flame 68 249 266 1987
- Peters, N. “Laminar Flamelet Concepts in Turbulent Combustion” Invited Paper presented at the 21st Symposium (International) on Combustion 1231 1250 1988
- Fraser, R.A. Bracco, F.V. “Cycle-Resolved LDV Integral Length Scale Measurements in an I.C. Engine” SAE Paper 880381 1988