This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Response and Mathematical Model of the Side Impact Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
A series of rigid wall tests have been conducted at three impact velocities to quantify the dynamic response of the Side Impact Dummy (SID) developed by US DOT. This paper reports the chest, pelvis and head responses of the dummy at various filter frequencies and describes the development and verification of the three-dimensional mathematical model of the Side Impact Dummy utilizing the rigid wall test results.
The mathematical model uses the mass distribution and the linkage system of the current Part 572, Hybrid II dummy which forms the basic platform of the SID. The unique chest of the dummy is modeled by two systems of linkages simulating the rib cage and the jacket. Also included in the model is the internal hardware of the chest, e.g. a damper, rib stopper and a clavicle simulator at the upper spine.
The material and linkage models are based on static and dynamic tests of the dummy components. Model verification were carried out at component levels by comparing model and dummy certification test results. The final validation of the whole dummy model was conducted by simulating rigid wall and APR padding tests and comparing with test results.
CitationLow, T. and Prasad, P., "Dynamic Response and Mathematical Model of the Side Impact Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 902321, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902321.
- Eppinger, R.H. Marcus J.H. Morgan R.M. “Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program” SAE paper no. 840885 Washington D.C. May 1984
- Roberts A.K. Cesari D. Claeser K-P. Janssen E. G. “Status Report of The Production Prototype EUROSID's 1988” IRCOBI/EEVC Workshop Bergisch-Gladbach (F.R.G.) September 1988
- Beebe M.S. “What is Biosid” SAE Paper 900377 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan March 1990
- Deng Y-C “The Importance of the Test Method in Determining the Effects of Door Padding in Side Impact” Proceedings of the 33th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 892429 Washington D.C. October 1989
- MADYMO3D USER Manuals
- Wismans J. Wittebroop L.J.J. “The MADYMO Crash Victim Simulation Package and Its Application in Analyzing Thoraxes of Side Impact Dummy” Proceedings of the Biomechanics of Impact in Road Accidents Brussels 1983
- MADYMO3D Hybrid II Data set
- Side Impact Dummy User's Manual February 1988
- Marcus, J.H. Morgan R.M. Eppinger R.H. Kallieris D. Mattern R. Schmidt G. “Human Responses to an Injury from Lateral Impact” Proceedings of the 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 831634 San Diego, California October 1983
- Daniel, R.P. Prasad P. Yost C.D. “A Biomechanical Evaluation of the Ford Side Impact Body Block and the SID and APR Side Impact Dummies” Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition SAE Paper 840882 Washington D.C. May 1984