This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Bearing Oil Film Thickness Measurement and Oil Rheologh - an ASTM Task Force Report
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Task Force was formed in 1984 to: 1) establish a series of reference oils, 2) measure the minimum bearing oil film thicknesses provided by the oils in fired engines, and 3) interpret the results in terms of oil rheological properties. Minimum oil film thickness (MOFT) measurement and analysis techniques using a capacitance method were developed. At steady-state operating conditions, laboratories evaluated a matrix of eighteen monograde and multigrade oils, blended with four widely-used viscosity index improvers (VIIs). Analyses showed increasingly better correlations between MOFTs and viscosities of both single grade and multigrade oils as temperatures and shear rates used to calculate viscosities more-closely approximated in-bearing conditions.
CitationCryvoff, S., Spearot, J., and Bates, T., "Engine Bearing Oil Film Thickness Measurement and Oil Rheologh - an ASTM Task Force Report," SAE Technical Paper 902064, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902064.
- Cryvoff, S. A. and Deysarkar, A. K., “Relating High-Temperature, High-Shear Viscosity to Bearing Oil Film Thickness Measurements,” in High-Temperature, High-Shear (HTHS) Oil Viscosity: Measurement and Relationship to Engine Operation, ASTM STP 1068, Spearot James A., Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1989, pp. 74-90.
- “The Relationship Between High-Temperature Oil Rheology and Engine Performance - A Status Report”, ASTM Research Report DS-62, 1985.
- Spearot, J. A. and Murphy, C. K., “A Comparison of the Total Capacitance and Total Resistance Technique for Measuring the Thickness of Journal Bearing Oil Film in an Operating Engine”, SAE 880680, 1988.
- Spearot, J. A., Murphy, C. K., and Deysarkar, A. K., “Interpreting Experimental Bearing Oil Film Thickness Data,” SAE Paper 892151, Society of Automotive Engineers, Baltimore, 1989.
- Bates, T. W., and Benwell, S., “Effect of Oil Rheology on Journal Bearing Performance Part 3 - Newtonian Oils in the Connecting Rod Bearing of an Operating Engine”, SAE 880679, 1989.