This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Induced Drag of a Simple Wing From Wake Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Detailed flow surveys in the wake of a rectangular wing of aspect ratio six are described, which provide measurement of induced drag, profile drag, and lift. The investigation was conducted at 0.18 Mach number and 1.27 million chord Reynolds number employing a single five-hole probe for the measurement of total pressure and all three components of wake velocity. A comparison of wake data with balance data and wing theory demonstrates the excellent accuracy of low-speed wake measurements. Furthermore, the wake survey technique is shown to have good data repeatability and to accurately predict drag increments due to model modifications such as vortex generators. Spanwise distributions of induced drag, profile drag, and lift obtained from wake measurements are also presented.
CitationBrune, G. and Bogataj, P., "Induced Drag of a Simple Wing From Wake Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 901934, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901934.
- Maskell, E. C. “Progress Towards a Method for the Measurement of the Components of the Drag of a Wing of Finite Span,” RAE technical report 72232 1972
- Betz, A. “A Method for the Direct Determination of Profile Drag (in German),” ZFM 16 42 1925
- Hackett, J. E. Sugavanam, A. “Evaluation of a Complete Wake Integral for the Drag of a Car-Like Shape,” SAE paper 840577 February 1984
- Wu, J. C. Hackett, J. E. Lilley, D. E. “A Generalized Wake-Integral Approach for Drag Determination in Three-Dimensional Flows,” AIAA paper 79-0279 January 1979
- Hackett, J. E. Wu, J. C. “Drag Determination and Analysis from Three-Dimensional Wake Measurements,” ICAS paper No. 82-644 August 1982
- El-Ramly, Z. M. Rainbird, W. J. “Flow Survey of the Vortex Wake Behind Wings,” Journal of Aircraft 14 11 November 1977 1102 1108
- Weston, R. P. “Refinement of a Method for Determining the Induced and Profile Drag of a Finite Wing from Detailed Wake Measurements,” University of Florida 1981
- Brune, G. W. Hallstaff, T. H. “Wing Span Loads of Complex High-Lift Systems from Wake Measurements,” Journal of Aircraft 22 9 September 1985 831 832
- Hallstaff, T. H. Brune, G. W. “An Investigation of Civil Transport Aft-Body Drag Using a Three-Dimensional Wake Survey Method,” AIAA Paper 84-0614 March 1984
- Rae, W. H., Jr. Pope, A. Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing John Wiley & Sons New York 1984
- Shindo, S. Rae, W. H., Jr. Aoki, Y. Hill, E. G. “Improvement of Flow Quality at the University of Washington Low Speed Wind Tunnel,” AIAA paper 78-815 1978
- Crowder, J. P. “Quick and Easy Flow Field Surveys,” Astronautics and Aeronautics November 1980
- Jones, R. T. “Wing Theory,” Princeton University Press Princeton, New Jersey 1990
- Schwarztrauber, P. N. Sweet, R. A. “Efficient Fortran Subprograms for the Solution of Separable Elliptic Partial Differential Equations,” ACM Trans. Math. Software 5 3 1979 352 364