This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Application of Wing Aerodynamic Principles to the Reduction of Road Vehicle Air Drag Loads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A wind tunnel program examined front end modifications for Cab-Over-Engine tractors. A Design based on a wing airfoil was used to produce a wind weighted drag reduction of ten percent.
The truck was considered to be a small aspect ratio “Wing” with a plane of symmetry on the road surface. The shape was able to achieve smooth flow at the vehicle side when the incoming flow was yawed from the truck's longitudinal axis. Drag measurements were made and tufts on the body and smoke off the body were observed.
The wind tunnel results were supported by data obtained from a road test. Comments by operators currently driving equipped trucks tend to support the work and point to handling qualities advantages related to the design.
CitationSalmirs, S. and Reed, W., "An Application of Wing Aerodynamic Principles to the Reduction of Road Vehicle Air Drag Loads," SAE Technical Paper 901866, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901866.
- Sovran, Gino Morel, T. Mason, W.T. Jr. “Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles” Plenum Press New York 1978
- Cooper, Kevin R. “The Effect of Front End Rounding and Rear-Edge Shaping on the Aerodynamic Drag of Bluff Bodies in Ground Proximity.” SAE Paper 850288 Detroit 1985
- SAE “SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Buses” SAE J1252 Jul 1981 SAE 400 Commonwealth Drive, Warrendale, PA 15906
- Cooper, K. R. Mason, W.T. Jr. Bettes, W.H. “Correlation Experience with the SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Busses” SAE-Paper 820375 Detroit 1982
- Rae, W.H. Jr. Pope, Alan “Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing” Second John Wiley & Sons New York 1984
- Abbott, Ira A. Von Doenhoff, Albert A. “Theory of Wing Sections” Dover Publications Inc. New York 1959
- Scibor-Rylsk, A.J. “Road Vehicle Aerodynamics” Second 1984 Pentech Press London:Plymouth 133 135
- Cooper, K.R. “The Wind Tunnel Testing of Heavy Trucks to Reduce Fuel Consumption” SAE-Paper 821285 Detroit 1982
- Gilhaus, Alfons M. Renn, Volker E “Drag and Driving - Stability-Related Aerodynamic Forces and Their Interdependence - Results of Measurements on 3/8 Scale Basic Car Shapes” SAE-Paper 860211 Detroit 1986
- Buckley, F.T. Jr. “Aspects of Over-the Road Testing of Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reducing Devices” SAE Paper 821286 Detroit 1982