This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Bearing Run-In on Lambda Calculations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines surface roughness effects and the inaccuracy introduced by changes in roughness resulting from normal run-in. While factors such as the ‘Oil Film Thickness to Composite Surface Roughness ratio’, Lambda, are being used, their reliability is dependent on the accuracy of the input data. Studies were conducted on cylindrical roller bearings (40 mm bore) at two calculated Lambda levels, 1.5 and 0.04, to evaluate changes in surface texture during short running time increments. The conclusion of the study offers recommendations for improving the methods used to predict bearing fatigue life.
|Technical Paper||Misalignment Problems in Cylindrical Roller Bearings|
|Technical Paper||A Novel Method for Determining the Stress-Life Exponent in Some Fatigue Experiments|
|Technical Paper||Some Resolved and Unresolved Areas in Journal Orbit Analysis|
CitationMiller, J., "The Influence of Bearing Run-In on Lambda Calculations," SAE Technical Paper 901626, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901626.
- Skurka J. C. ASLE, ASME Joint Lub. Conf. Houston, Texas ASME 1970 281 291
- Grubin A. N. Vinognadova I. E. 30 Moscow 1949 DSIR London
- Dowson D. Higginson G. R. Elastohydro-dynamic Lubrication Pergamon Press Oxford 1966
- Hamrock B. J. Dowson D. Ball Bearing Lubrication: Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication of Elliptical Contacts J. Wiley Interscience Publishers New York 1980
- Chittenden R. J. Dowson D. Dunn J. F. Taylor C. M. Proc. R. Soc. London 397 1985 245
- Cheng H. S. Mechanical Technology Technical Report MTI-67TR24 1967
- Jackson A. ASLE Transactions 24 2 1981 147
- Avallone E. A. Baumeister T. III Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers Ninth McGraw-Hill 1987 13 81
- Zhou R. S. Cheng H. S. Mura T. STLE/ASLE Joint Tribology Conf. Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. 1989