This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
All Electronic Dual Fuel Injection System for the Belarus D-144 Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Through the joint efforts of BKM, SPI, AFS and Belarus, an advanced, all- electronic dual fuel system has been developed for retrofit applications on the Belarus D-144, four-cylinder, 4.15 liter, 44.7 KW diesel engine. The system features all electronic control on both full diesel or up to 90 % gas with automatic and instant changeover capability. The existing mechanical diesel injection system was replaced with an all electronic, hydraulically actuated, diesel injection system coupled with timed multi-point electronic injection for the gas system. The control strategy does not utilize inlet throttling typically used on gas fueled engines. The effectiveness of this simplified control system is assumed to be the result of a degree of charge stratification. The D-144 engine is utilized in a wide variety of industrial, farm and highway applications. Special application requirements can be accommodated by programming the EPROM control chip. Although ongoing development testing will continue to explore the full potential of this very flexible fuel system, successful results to date have resulted in a decision to proceed with production prototypes for commercial release.
CitationJohnson, W., Beck, N., Lovkov, O., van der Lee, A. et al., "All Electronic Dual Fuel Injection System for the Belarus D-144 Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 901502, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901502.
- Beck, N. J. Johnson, W. P. George, A. F. Petersen, P. W. van der Lee, B. Klopp. G. “Electronic Fuel Injection for Dual Fuel Diesel Methane” SAE Paper 891652 1989
- Waldman, D. J. Gladden, J. R. Endicott, D. L. Cull, B. A. “Caterpillar 3406 Spark Ignited natural Gas Engine Emissions On EPA Heavy Duty Transient Test Cycle” 1989
- Beck, N. J. Barkhimer, R. L. Catkins, M. A. Johnson, W. P. Weseloh, W. E. “Direct Digital Control of Electronic Unit Injectors” SAE Paper 840273 1984
- Barkhimer, R. L. Beck, N. J. Weseloh, W. E. “Development of a Durable, Reliable and Fast Responding Solenoid Valve” SAE Paper 831326 1983
- Chen, S. K Chang, T. Z. Chang, J. S. Bair, R. “On-line PC Based Engine Analyzer and Simulator” SAE Paper 881256 1988
- Weseloh, W. “EEC-IV Full Authority Diesel Fuel Injedction Control” SAE Paper 861098 1986