This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Role of Sensors in Future Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several electronic control systems will be introduced into our cars in the near future, thus leading to an increasing demand for new and more sophysticated sensors.
The sensor structure could be drastically changed because more and more functions will be required to the central microprocessors of the electronic control units, causing their overload.
Taking into account that a considerable amount of microprocessor time and memory is spent for the collection and the elaboration of sensors signal, it makes sens to relieve them displacing a part of the electronics onto the sensors thus obtaining upgraded and easily usable signals.
This process will lead at first to integrated sensors and later to smart and eventually microprocessor based sensors.
In the paper an attempt will be given to forsee how the systems structure, the sensors configuration and the relevant implementation technologies should evolve to fulfil the future requirements of car electronics.
CitationBianchi, V., Dell'Acqua, R., and Geslot, F., "The Role of Sensors in Future Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 901132, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901132.
- GIACHINO J.M. Ford Motor Company Smart Sensors; Sensor and Actuators 1986
- OISCHI T. KANEYASU M. IKEGAMI A. Hitachi Discrimination of Chemical Components and functional groups by pattern recognition using an integrated sensor ISHM Nordik Conference Norway 1987
- ALBA M. National Semiconductor A system approach to smart-sensors and smart actuator SAE Paper 880554 Detroit Mi Feb. 1988
- ALBA M. National Semiconductor The application of microcontrollers to Automotive smart sensors SAE Paper 89303 Detroit Mi March 1989
- DELL'ACQUA R. Marelli Autronica A bright future for thick film sensors SAE Paper 890480 Detroit Mi March 1989
- COTIGNOLl G. DELL'ACQUA R. DELL'ORTO G. Marelli Autronica A thick film accelerometer for Electronic Suspension Control SAE Paper 890481 Detroit Mi March 1989
- KNUTTI J.W. I.C. Sensors Emerging Silicon microstructure
- HEINTZ F. ZABLER E. Robert Bosch Application possibilities and future chances of “smart” sensors in the Motor Vehicle SAE Paper 890304 Detroit Mi March 1989