This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injection Timing and Rate Control - A Solution for Low Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes latest results from the Ricardo heavy duty diesel engine research programme. Using a Diesel Kiki P-TICS II injection system, matched to a low swirl combustion chamber, emission results well within the US 1991 engineering targets have been achieved with good fuel economy. Very low NOx levels have also been demonstrated whilst maintaining good fuel economy and particulate emissions within the 1991 standards. Analysis of results indicates that injection timing and rate control, as embodied in the P-TICS approach, is a key technology for achieving these low emissions with good fuel economy.
CitationNeedham, J., May, M., Doyle, D., Faulkner, S. et al., "Injection Timing and Rate Control - A Solution for Low Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 900854, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900854.
- Needham J R et al “Technology for 1994” SAE 891949
- Freeman H D “Stockholm Club Emissions - Impact on the European Truck Engine” Autotech 1989 IMechE
- Japanese EPA Statement 23 December 1989
- Pilley A D et al “Optimisation of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Transient Emissions by Advanced Control of a Variable Geometry Turbocharger” SAE 890395
- Doyle D M Needham J R Faulkner S A Freese R G “Application of an Advanced In-Line Injection System to a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine” SAE 891847
- Needham J R Doyle D M Faulkner S A “Developing the Truck Engine for Ultra Low Emissions” IMechE Seminar 1 February 1990 London
- Patten O B “Navistar Shows First 1994 Diesel” Transport Topics No 2816 24 July 1989
- Nishizawa K Ishiwata H Yamaguchi S “A New Concept of Diesel Fuel Injection - Timing and Injection Rate Control System” SAE 870434
- Ishiwata H Okubo H “A New Series of Timing and Injection Rate Control Systems - Ad-TICS and P-TICS” SAE 880491
- Frankl G Barker B G Timms C T “Electronic Unit Injectors for Direct Injection Engines” IMechE Seminar 10 11 October 1989 London
- Stumpp G et al “Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE) for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines for US 1991/1994 Emission Legislation” SAE 890851
- Nishimura M Fujitani N Iwatuki M “The Nippondenso In-Line Injection Pumps with Electronic Control for the Clean Diesel Engine” SAE 870436
- Ishida A Kanamoto T Kurihara “Improvements of Exhaust Gas Emissions and Cold Startability of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines by New Injection-Rate-Control Pump” SAE 861236
- Hales J M May M P “Transient Cycle Emissions Reduction at Ricardo - 1988 and Beyond” SAE 860456
- Wall J C Hoekman S K “Fuel Composition Effects of Heavy Duty Diesel Particulate Emissions” SAE 841364