This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design of Impact Absorbing Members for Aluminum Structured Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As part of the development of Aluminum Structured Vehicle Technology (ASVT), significant advances have been made in the design of impact energy absorbing members for automobiles. This paper compares the performance of aluminum and steel impact members, and discusses the influence of the material properties of aluminum on subsequent impact member performance. Methods for designing aluminum impact members for stability, collapse initiation and subsequent collapse performance are presented. This includes both analytical and finite element modelling.
CitationMcGregor, I., Seeds, A., and Nardini, D., "The Design of Impact Absorbing Members for Aluminum Structured Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 900796, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900796.
- Wheeler, M.J. Sheasby, P.G. Kewley, D. “Aluminum Structured Vehicle Technology - A Comprehensive Approach to Vehicle Design and Manufacturing in Aluminum” SAE Technical Paper Series 870146 1987
- Nardini, D. Seeds, A. “Structural Design Considerations for Bonded Aluminum Structured Vehicles” SAE Technical Paper Series 890716 1989
- Seeds, A. Nardini, D. Cassese, F. “The Development of a Centre Cell Structure in Bonded Aluminum for the Ferrari 408 Research Vehicle’ SAE Technical Paper Series 890717 1989
- “Strength of Aluminum” Marsh Fifth 41 Alcan Canada Products Ltd. 1983
- ESDU Structures 11
- Shirasawa, K. Akamatsu, T. Ohkubo, Y. “Mean Crushing Strength of Closed Hat Section Members” Bull. JSAE 7 1976
- Automotive Design Manual Rev. 2, 3.6 Crash Energy Management American Iron and Steel Institute Dec. 1988
- Wierzbicki, T. Abramowicz, W. “On the Crushing Mechanics of Thin-Walled Structures” J. Appl. Mech. 50 727 734 1983
- Wierzbicki, T. “Crushing Analysis of Metal Honeycombs” Int. J. of Impact Eng. 1 2 157 174 1983
- Abramowicz, W. Wierzbicki, T. Axial Crushing of Multicorner Sheet Metal Columns” J. Appl. Mech. 1988
- Wierzbicki, T. Abramowicz, W. “The Mechanics of Deep Plastic Collapse of Thin Walled Structures” “Structural Failure” Wierzbicki, Jones 281 329 Wiley 1989