This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NOx Reduction by Injection Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The reduction of NOx without the degradation of soot emission and/or fuel economy necessitates the grasp of the in-cylinder temperature behavior, since NOx is mainly generated within localized high-temperature regions in the cylinder of diesel engines. Therefore, the in-cylinder temperature distributions were measured by the two-color method.
This temperature distribution measurement enabled the characterization of the NOx reduction mechanisms for two methods by injection control; injection timing retard and pilot injection.
Injection timing retard lowers the temperature throughout the combustion chamber, where NOx is reduced by controlling the spatial development of localized high-temperature regions. On the other hand, pilot injection delays the development of high-temperature regions. NOx is reduced by controlling the temporal development of the localized high-temperature regions.
Furthermore, a novel method to reduce NOx has been proposed. This method implies the positive promotion of secondary injection, facilitating the reduction of both NOx and smoke, by abrupt drop in the temperature of localized high-temperature regions around the nozzle hole.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Mechanical Pilot Injection Device for Automotive Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Fuel injection Pressure on Diesel Engine Performance|
|Technical Paper||Development Potential of High Speed DI Diesel Engines|
CitationAoyama, T., Mizuta, J., and Oshima, Y., "NOx Reduction by Injection Control," SAE Technical Paper 900637, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900637.
- Kieser, R. D. “Future Trends in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 880825 1988
- Pischinger, F. F. Endres, H. “Abgasemission und Kraftstoffverbrauch von Fahrzeugdieselmotoren - Ein Statusbericht” FISITA 1 1986
- Richards, R. R. Sibley, J. E. “Diesel Engine Emissions Control for the 1990's” SAE Paper 880346 1988
- “Diesel Engines: Future Trends” Automotive Engineering 96 9 1988 39
- Horrocks, R.W. “Particulate Control Systems for Diesel Engines” IMechE 1987 319
- Cooper, B. J. Thoss, J. E. “Role of NO in Diesel Particulate Emission Control” SAE Paper 890404 1989
- Wade, W. R. Hunter, C. E. Trinker, F. H. Cikanek, H. A. “The Reduction of NOx and Particulate Emissions in the Diesel Combustion Process” ASME 1987
- Kato, T. Tsujimura, K. Shintani, M. Minami, T. Yamaguchi, I. “Spray Characteristics and Combustion Improvement of D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 890265 1989
- Grigg, H. G. “The Parameters Available for Controlling Diesel Engine Performance and their Relationship with Performance Parameters” Automotive Microelectronics 1986 343
- Hil, R. W. Lawrence, C. S. Clarke, D. P. Needham J. R. “The Optimized Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Future Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 880419 1988
- Athenstaedt, G. Herzog, P. Noraberg, J. Ruhri, F. “Einfluβ einer Voreinspritzung auf die dieselmotorische Verbrennung und Beurteilung mittels Hochgeschwindigkeits-fotografie an einem Einzylinder-Mittelschnellaufer” MTZ 49 1988 4 163
- Schulte, H. Scheid, E. Pischinger, F. Reuter, U. “Preinjection - A Measure to Influence Exhaust Quality and Noise of Diesel Engines” ASME 4 1988 97
- Peterson, R. C. Wu, K-J. “The Effect of Operating Conditions on Flame Temperature in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 861565 1986
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “A Study on the Time and Space Resolved Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in a D.I. Diesel Engine by the Two-Color Method” SAE Paper 790491 1979
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “A Study on the Application of the Two-Color Method to the Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 800970
- Wu, K-J. Peterson, R. C. “Correlation of Nitric Oxide Emission from a Diesel Engine with Measured Temperature and Burning Rate” SAE Paper 861566 1986
- Kawamura, K. Saitoh, A. Yaegashi, T. H.Ishiwata, Y. “Measurement of Flame Temperature Distribution in Engines by Using a Two-Color High Speed Shutter TV Camera System” SAE Paper 890320 1989
- Shimoda, M. Suzuki, T. Shigemori, M. “Observation of the Particulate Formation Process in the Cylinder of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 870268 1987
- Aoyama, T. Sunami, K. Mizuta, J. Oshima, Y. Noguchi, M. “A Small Direct Injection Diesel Engine with a Swirl Nozzle” SAE Paper 870618 1987
- Yanagihara, H. Henda, Y. “Feasibility Study on Combustion Control of Diesel Engine for Reducing NOx and Particulates” 10. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 1989 4 27-28 250 VDI-Verlag Dusseldorf
- Bosch. W. “The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection” SAE Paper 660749 1966