This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Role of Durability and Evaluation Conditions on the Performance of Pt/Rh and Pd/Rh Automotive Catalysts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various noble metal compositions are used for three-way catalyst applications. The most typical composition contains platinum and rhodium at various loadings and ratios. Recently palladium and rhodium compositions have received considerable attention by automobile companies.
The strengths and weaknesses of the various noble metal use strategies have been widely discussed. Unfortunately, the content for much of the discussion has been based on information generated in the early to mid-1970s with catalysts of relatively simple formulation when compared to today's higher technology products.
The present study compares the relative durability performance of modern platinum/rhodium and palladium/rhodium catalysts of identical loading under a variety of aging and evaluation conditions. These conditions were chosen to simulate some of the operating conditions encountered in U.S. and European driving applications. The results of the study also illustrate the progress made in developing high performance palladium/rhodium catalyst technologies.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Pt and Rh Loading on the Performance of Three-Way Automotive Catalysts|
|Technical Paper||Design Criteria of Metallic Substrates for Future Catalyst Applications; Part III|
CitationSummers, J., Williamson, W., and Scaparo, J., "The Role of Durability and Evaluation Conditions on the Performance of Pt/Rh and Pd/Rh Automotive Catalysts," SAE Technical Paper 900495, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900495.
- Muraki H. Shinjoh H. Sabukowa H. Yokata K. Fujitani Y. “Palladium-Lanthanum Catalysts for Automotive Emission Control” Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev 1986 25 202 1986
- Summers J. C. Williamson W. B. Henk M. G. “Uses of Palladium in Automotive Emission Control Catalysts” SAE Paper 880281 1988
- Summers J. C. White J. J. Williamson W. B. “Durability of Palladium-Only Three-Way Automotive Emission Control Catalysts” SAE Paper 890794 1989
- Gandhi H. S. Watkins L. H. U.S. Patent 4,782,038 November 1 1988
- Graham G. W. Potter T. Baird R. J. Gandhi H. S. Shelef M. “Surface Composition of Polycrystalline Pd-15 Rh Following High Temperature Oxidation in Air” J. Vac. Sci. Technology 44 (3) May June 1986
- Hegedus L. L. Summers J. C. Schlatter J. C. Baron K. “Poison-Resistant Catalysts for the Simultaneous Control of Hydrocarbon, Carbon Monoxide, and Nitrogen Oxide Emissions” J. Catalysis 1979 54 321
- Summers J. C. Hegedus L. L. “Effects of Platinum and Palladium Impregnation on the Performance and Durability of Automobile Exhaust Oxidizing Catalysts” J. Catalysis 1978 51 185
- Yao Y. F. Y. “Oxidation of Alkanes over Noble Metal Catalysts” Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 19 293 1980
- Williamson W. B. Lewis D. Perry J. Gandhi H. S. “Durability of Palladium Automotive Catalysts: Effects of Trace Lead Levels, Exhaust Composition, and Misfueling” Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 1984 23 531
- Heck R. Patel K. S. Adomaitis J. “Platinum Versus Palladium Three-Way Catalysts - Effect of Closed-Loop Feed-Back Parameters on Catalyst Efficiency” SAE Paper 892094 1989
- Skowron J. F. Williamson W. B. Summers J. C. “Effect of Aging and Evaluation Conditions on Three-Way Catalyst Performance” SAE Paper 892093 1989
- Yao H. C. Japar S. Shelef M. “Surface Interactions in the System Rh/Al2O3” J. Catal. 1977 50 407
- Yao H. C. Stepien H. K. Gandhi H. S. “Metal Support Interactions in Automotive Exhaust Catalysts: Rh-Washcoat Interaction” J. Catal. 1980 61 547
- Wong C. McCabe R. W. “Effects of High-Temperature Oxidation and Reduction on the Structure and Activity of Rh/Al2O3 and Rh/SiO2 Catalysts” J. Catal. 1989 119 47
- Carol L. A. Newman N. E. Mann G. S. “High Temperature Deactivation of Three-Way Catalyst” SAE Paper 892040 1989
- Summers J. C. Monroe D. R. “Design Factors of Dual Bed Catalysts” Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 1981 20 23
- Shyu J. Z. Otto K. Watkins W. L. Graham G. W. Belitz R. K. Gandhi H. S. “Characterization of Pd/γ -Alumina Catalysts Containing Ceria” J. Catal. 1988 114 23
- Shyu J. Z. Otto K. J. Catal. 1989 115 16
- Williamson W. B. Stepien H. K. Watkins W. L. H. Gandhi H. S. “Poisoning of Platinum-Rhodium Automotive Three-Way Catalysts by Lead and Phosphorus” Environ. Sci. & Tech. 1979 13 1109
- Monroe D. R. Krueger M. H. “The Effect of Pt and Rh Loading on the Performance of Three-Way Automotive Catalysts” SAE Paper 872130 1987
- Hellman K. H. Bruetsch R. I. Piotrowski G. K. Tallent W. D. “Resistive Materials Applied to Quick Lightoff Catalysts” SAE Paper 890799 1989