This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Honda New In-Line Five Cylinder Engine-Noise and Vibration Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Extensive studies in various technological fields have been conducted to determine the most appropriate engine configuration (arrangement and number of cylinders) for Honda's next-generation compact luxury automobiles. One of the basic concepts incorporated into these models include an ‘exhilarating drive’. Studies in the noise/vibration field disclosed that noise/vibration levels must be reduced while simultaneously realizing linearity in noise/vibration increase.
As a result, an in-line five cylinder engine was chosen for this purpose. Additionally, Honda designed a new five-point engine mount system for a longitudinally-mounted engine in its FWD layout.
Crankshaft rumbling noise in the in-line five cylinder engine was proven to be caused by crankshaft torsional resonance, as found in previous research of in-line four and six cylinder engines. This noise deteriorates linearity sensation. An in-line five cylinder engine which allows ‘exhilarating drive’ was successfully developed through the resolution of these problems.
|Technical Paper||Influence of Bottom End Design on Noise and Vibration Behavior of 4-Cylinder In-Line Gasoline Engines|
CitationUchida, T. and Katano, H., "Honda New In-Line Five Cylinder Engine-Noise and Vibration Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 900389, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900389.
- Aoki H. et al. “Effect of Power Plant Vibration on Sound Quality in the Passenger Compartment During Acceleration” SAE Paper 870955 1987
- Yoshikawa N. et al. “Improve Sound Quality in the Cabin with the Reduction of Engine Vibration” Technical Review of Mitsubishi Heavy Industry 25 4 1988 402 407
- Eberhard A. et al. MTZ 36 1975 4
- Kitano K. et al. “Research of Engine Noise Reduction Applying Crankshaft Torsional Damper” Internal Combustion Engine 25 317 1986 Apr. 58 66
- Kuroda O. et al. “An Approach to Improve Engine Sound Quality” SAE Paper 880083 1988