This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Neither the experimental nor analytical techniques currently used to study vehicle rollover accidents accurately represent most actual rollovers. Until recently, crash tests to study rollovers have used either snubbed dollies or guided ramps to cause rollovers. Real world vehicle rollovers, however, are caused by a variety of mechanisms, including impacting curbs or obstacles, sliding through soil or sod, and dropping off embankments. Analytical methods proposed to model rollover events represent idealized curb trip situations and provide unrealistically low estimates for the lateral speeds needed to cause rollovers.
This paper presents the results of a continuing investigation into the mechanics of real world vehicle rollovers. Rollover tests with vehicles tripped by a curb, sliding in soil, and thrown from a dolly are presented. The mechanics of the different trip modes is discussed and a simple analytical model to represent the trip mode behavior presented.
|Technical Paper||Rollover Testing|
|Technical Paper||Characteristics of Soil-Tripped Rollovers|
|Technical Paper||Occupant to Roof Contact: Rollovers and Drop Tests|
CitationCooperrider, N., Thomas, T., and Hammoud, S., "Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior," SAE Technical Paper 900366, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900366.
Accident Reconstruction-Human, Vehicle and Environmental Factors
Number: SP-0814 ; Published: 1990-02-01
Number: SP-0814 ; Published: 1990-02-01
- Hight,P.V., Siegel, A.W., and Nahum, A.M., “Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions,” SAE 720966, November 1972.
- Delays, N.J. and Brinkman, C.P., “Rollover Potential of Vehicles on Embankments, Sideslopes, and Other Roadside Features,” SAE 870234, February 1987.
- Terhune,K.,“Rollover and Ejection Study,” Presentation to Rollover Subcommittee, Motor Vehicle Safety Research Advisory Committee, NHTSA, March 16, 1989.
- Baker, J.S., Traffic Accident Investigation Manual, The Traffic Institute, Northwestern University, 1975.
- McHenry,R.R.,“Speed Estimates in Vehicle Rollovers,” Calspan Report No. ZQ-5639-V-1, January 1976.
- Jones, I.S., The Effect of Vehicle Characteristics on Road Accidents, Pergammon Press, 1976.
- Jones, I.S., “The Mechanics of Rollover as the Result of Curb Impact,” SAE 750461, February 1975.
- Ford, J.E. and Thompson, J.E., “Vehicle Rollover Dynamics Prediction by Mathematical Model,” SAE 690804, 1969.
- Nalcezk, A., “Status Report on NHTSA Sponsored Research on Computer Modeling of Rollover Vehicle Dynamics,” Presentation to Rollover Subcommittee, Motor Vehicle Safety Research Advisory Committee, NHTSA, March 16, 1989.
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 208, “Occupant Crash Protection,” Part 571, S208.
- Wilson, R.A. and Gannon,R.R., “Rollover Testing,” SAE 720495, May 1972.
- Young, R. and Scheuerman,H., ’Test for Vehicle Rollover Procedure,” DOT HS 800 61 5, November 1971.
- Orlowski,K.F.,Bundorf,R.T., and Moffatt, E.A., “Rollover Crash Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics,” SAE 851734, 1985.
- Brown, D.R.,Stansifer,R.L., Guenther, D.A., “Scene Tripping as a Causal Factor in Vehicular Rollovers,” Proceedings of the Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference III, May 1984.
- Habberstad,J.L., Wagner, R.C., and Thomas, T.M., “Rollover and Interior Kinematics Test Procedures Revisited,” SAE 861875, 1986.
- Thomas, T.M.,Cooperrider,N.K.,Hammoud,S.A., and Woley,P.F., “Real World Rollovers -- A Crash Test Procedure and Vehicle Kinematics Evaluation,” Proceedings of Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference, Gothenburg, June 1989.
- Brown, D.R.,Stansifer,R.L., and Guenther, D.A., “An Examination of Furrow Tripping and Vehicle Rollovers, Proceedings of the Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference, May 1985.
- Orlowski,K.F., Moffatt, E.A.,Bundorf,R.T., and Holcomb,M.P.,“Reconstruction of Rollover Collisions, SAE 890857, 1989.