This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Potential of Non-ferrous Materials Use in Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper reviews the growth of the use of different non-ferrous metals and alloys in the automotive industry to meet the needs of weight reduction, high heat dissipation and high temperature strength and corrosion resistance. It examines the potential of growth of this use in the light of some recently developed non-ferrous materials and processing techniques which are finding growing applications in the aerospace industry. Since the automotive industry cannot afford the high costs to the same extent as can the aerospace industry, the use of some of the improved materials would need to keep pace with the growth of the cost benefits of their use in this industry.
CitationGupta, R., "Potential of Non-ferrous Materials Use in Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 900363, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900363.
- “Metals In Power Train And Chassis” ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES INCLUDING METAL PROGRESS 5 May 1987
- “Forecast '89 New Automotive Materials” ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES 1 January 1989
- Aluminum: The Corrosion Resistant Automotive Material THE ALUMINUM ASSOCIATION Washington, D.C. Publication # T 17
- Cole, D.E. “The automotive industry in transition and the Role of Aluminum” Keynote Lecture at Tenth Annual Automotive Aluminum Design and Fabrication Seminar The Aluminum Association Troy, Mich. November 8 1989
- Aluminum Development Digest THE ALUMINUM ASSOCIATION Washigton, D.C. Fall 1989
- Webster, D. Haynes T.G. III, Fleming, R.H. “Al-Li Investment Castings Coming of Age” ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES INCLUDING METAL PROGRESS 6 June 1988
- A New Age of Metals ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES INCLUDING METAL PROGRESS 1 January 1987
- Kane, R.D. Oldfield, J.W. “Environmental Effects on Advanced Materials” ASM NEWS September 1989
- Baker, H. “Magnesium Races Ahead” ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES 9 September 1989
- Kubel E.J. Jr., “Expanding Horizons For ZA Alloys” ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES INCLUDING METAL PROGRESS 7 July 1987