This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissions and Fuel Economy Tests of a Methanol Bus with a 1988 DDC Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A methanol-fueled transit bus with a 1988-technology Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) 6V-92TA engine was chassis dynamometer tested using steady-state and transient cycles to determine exhaust emissions and fuel economy. With chemical-grade methanol (M100), the bus had lower particulate, NOx, and heavy aldehyde emissions than the comparable (though older) diesel bus; however, formaldehyde and organic emissions were higher. Two other approaches were tried: methanol with 15% added gasoline (M85) and an exhaust catalyst (with M100). Both reduced formaldehyde and organic emissions relative to M100 alone, but they both increased heavy aldehyde emissions. The exhaust catalyst also reduced particulate emissions.
|Technical Paper||Methanol Vehicle Emissions Round Robin Test Program|
|Journal Article||Comparison of fuel economy and exhaust emission tests of 4WD vehicles using single-axis chassis dynamometer and dual-axis chassis dynamometer|
CitationEberhard, G., Ansari, M., and Hoekman, S., "Emissions and Fuel Economy Tests of a Methanol Bus with a 1988 DDC Engine," SAE Technical Paper 900342, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900342.
- “Milestone, a Report on the Status of Project MILE (Methanol in Large Engines),” March 1989 Sypher:Mueller International Inc.
- Brown R. A. Nicholson J. A. Jackson M. D. Sullivan C. “Methanol-Fueled Heavy-Duty Truck Engine Applications…The CEC Program,” SAE Paper 890972 1989
- Toepel R. R. Bennethum J. E. Heruth R. E. “Development of Detroit Diesel Allison 6V-92TA Methanol-Fueled Coach Engine,” SAE Paper 831744 1983
- Jackson M. D. et al. “Transit Bus Operation With Methanol Fuel,” SAE Paper 850216 1985
- Neitz A. Chmela F. “The M.A.N. Methanol Engine Powering City Buses,” Fifth International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium May 13-18 1983 Auckland, New Zealand
- Ullman T. L. Hare C. T. “Emissions Characterization of Two Methanol Fueled Transit Buses,” February 1986
- Eberhard G. A. Ansari M. Hoekman S. K. “Emissions and Fuel Economy Test Results for Methanol-and Diesel-Fueled Buses,” Paper 89-9.4 82nd Annual Meeting of the Air and Waste Management Association June 1989
- Urban C. M. “Dynamometer Simulation of Truck and Bus Road Horsepower for Transient Emissions Evaluations,” SAE Paper 840349 1984
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency “Proposed Emission Standards and Test Procedures for Methanol-Fueled Vehicles,” Summer 1986, Emissions Control Technology Division Office of Mobile Sources
- Lipari F. Swarin S. J. “Determination of Formaldehyde and Other Aldehydes in Automobile Exhaust With an Improved 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine Method,” J. Chromat 247 297 306 1982
- Smith L. R. “Characterization of Exhaust Emissions From Alcohol-Fueled Vehicles,” Final Report to the Coordinating Research Council (Project CAPE-30) May 1985
- Perez J. M. Lipari F. Seizinger D. E. “Cooperative Development of Analytical Methods for Diesel Emissions and Particulate - Solvent Extractables, Aldehydes, and Sulfate Methods,” SAE Paper 840413 1984
- Horn J. C. Hoekman S. K. “Methanol-Fueled Light-Duty Vehicle Emissions,” Paper 89-9.3 82nd Annual Meeting of the Air and Waste Management Association June 1989
- Glaser J. A. Foerst D. L. McKee G. D. Quave S. A. Budde W. L. “Trace Analysis for Waste Waters - Method Detection Limit,” Environ. Sci. Technol. 15 1426 1435 1981
- “Baseline Advanced Design Transit Coach Specifications,” U.S. Department of Transportation November 1978
- Goldberger L. Simon M. “Emissions Characterization of the Detroit Diesel Methanol Bus Engine,” City of New York Department of Environmental Protection April 1989
- Goetz W. A. Petherick D. Topaloglu T. “Performance and Emissions of Propane, Natural Gas, and Methanol Fueled Bus Engines,” SAE Paper 880494 1988
- Winsor Richard “The Detroit Diesel Corporation Methanol Program,” Proceedings of the APRAC Methanol Workshop April 19-21 1988
- Ullman T. L. Hare C. T. Baines T. M. “Emissions From Direct-Injected Heavy-Duty Methanol-Fueled Engines (One Dual-Injection and One Spark-Ignited) and a Comparable Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 820966 1982