This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Cylinder Flow and Combustion Modeling of 1.7L Caterpillar Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper details the development of a mathematical model to simulate the incylinder processes in the Caterpillar 1.7L Diesel engine and the results obtained during compression stroke and early part of the combustion stroke. The model includes accurate representation of the geometry of the 1.7L combustion chamber via Body Fitted Coordinates (BFC) which conform to the shape of the piston-dish and cylinder. Also included are the combustion model and evaporation model. This 3-D model predicts average cylinder pressure and temperature variations with degree crank angle which are in good agreement with Caterpillar measurements for this engine.
CitationGibson, D., Mahaffey, W., and Mukerjee, T., "In-Cylinder Flow and Combustion Modeling of 1.7L Caterpillar Engines," SAE Technical Paper 900253, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900253.
- Chen, Y. S. Kim, S. W. “Computation of Turbulent Flows Using an Extended k-ϵ Turbulence Closure Model” NASA CR-179204 October 1987
- Patankar, S. V. “Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow,” Hemisphere Publishing Corporation Washington 1980
- Gupta, A. K. Mehta, P. S. Gupta, C. P. “Model for Predicting Air-fuel Mixing and Combustion for Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE 860331 International Congress and Exposition Feb. 24-28 1986
- Spalding, D. Brian “IPSA 1981 - New Developments and Computed Results,” CFDU Report HTS/81
- Rosten, H. I. Spalding, D. B. “The PHOENICS Beginner's Guide,” Document Revision 04 Software Version 1.4 October 1987
- Rosten, H. I. Spalding, D. B. “The PHOENICS Reference Manual,” Document Revision 06 Software Version 1.4 October 1987
- Prakash, C. “Prediction of Condensation in Stratifield Flow (Data Set 16) Using the PHOENICS Code,” Huntsville, Alabama 1987
- Jain, S. K. Tam, L. T. Mukerjee, T. “3-D Analysis of Flow and Combustion Processes in a 1.1L Diesel Engine,” Report 4067/3 to Caterpillar September 1986
- Mukerjee, T. Singhal, A. K. “Analysis of Flow Development in Open Combustion Cavities of Diesel Engines,” ASME 1984 Winter Annual Meeting Forum of Fluid Mechanics of Internal Combustion Engines New Orleans December 1984
- Kanury, A. M. “Introduction to Combustion Phenomena,” Gordon and Breach London 1982
- Kays, W. M. Crawford, M. E. “Convection Heat and Mass Transfer,” McGraw-Hill New York 1980
- Spalding, D. B. “GENMIX: A General Computer Program for 2-D Parabolic Phenomena” Percammon Press 1977
- Gosman, A. O. Harvey, P. S. “Computer Analysis of Fuel-Air Mixing in an Axisymmetric D.I. Diesel” SAE Publication # 820036 1982