This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver's Response and Behavior on Being Confronted with a Pedestrian or a Vehicle Suddenly Darting Across the Road
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The sudden darting out of a pedestrian or a vehicle onto the road was used as an unexpected situation to investigate the driver's response and behavior with the driving simulator.
In this emergency situation, the driving operations to avoid the pedestrian or the crossing vehicle, and the percentage of having an accident depended on the driver's driving experience.
Consequently, 55% of the subject drivers operated the steering wheel to avoid the pedestrian. The drivers who applied the brakes to avoid the pedestrian were a little less than 90% among the experienced drivers, but only half of the beginners.
When even both the steering and braking were used to move to the other side to avoid the pedestrian, half of the experienced drivers had accidents, and about 65% of all of them had accidents. When the beginners tried to avoid the pedestrian in various ways, almost all of them had accidents.
|Technical Paper||Braking Behaviour in Emergencies|
|Technical Paper||Avoiding the Emerging Pedestrian: a Mathematical Model|
|Technical Paper||Performance of Driver-Vehicle System in Emergency Avoidance|
CitationAraki, K. and Matsuura, Y., "Driver's Response and Behavior on Being Confronted with a Pedestrian or a Vehicle Suddenly Darting Across the Road," SAE Technical Paper 900144, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900144.
- Nordmark S. et al Moving Base Driving Simulator with Wide Angle Visual System XXth FISITA Congress,, 845100 1984
- Drosdol J. et al The Daimler-Benz Driving Simulator, A Tool for Vehicle Development SAE Paper 850334
- Drosdol J. et al The Daimler-Benz Driving Simulator New Technologies Demand New Instruments Proc. of 9th IAVSD-Symposium 1985
- Grime G. Handbook of Road Safety Research Butterworths 1987
- Oguchi Y. et al Lateral Acceleration Characteristics of Automobile and Handling Evaluation J. of JSAE 35 5 1981
- Hayashi Y. Trends of Vehicle Dynamic Simulators J. of JSAE 36 3 1982
- Suetomi T. et al Development of Driving Simulator JSAE Paper 851060 1985
- Fukui K. et al Driving Simulator Applications for Driver-Vehicle System Analyses (1st Rep.) JSAE Paper 852136 1985
- Miki K. et al Driving Simulator Applications for Driver-Vehicle System Analyses (2nd Rep.) JSAE Paper 861031 1986
- Iwamoto S. On the Driving Simulator of Vehicle J. of JARI 8 9 9 2 1986 87
- Suetomi T. et al Trend in R & D on Driving Simulators J. of JSAE 40 3 1986
- Fukui K. et al Driving Simulator Applications for Driver-Vehicle System Analyses J. of JSAE 42 3 1988
- Kanda S. The Daimler-Benz Driving Simulator Car Graphic 24 10 1985
- Matsuura Y. Study on Driving Simulator Giving Dynamical Accelerating Feelings to Driver, Seminar on Simulators and their Applications JSAE 1975
- Araki K. et al Driving Simulator for Driver's Characteristics JSAE Paper 812826 1981
- Araki K. et al Investigation of Driver's Characteristics by Driving Simulator JSAE Paper 822B72 1982
- Araki K. et al Irvestigation of Driver's Characteristics by Driving Simulator Bulletin of O.S.U. 1985
- Matsuura Y. Human Engineering for the Automobile; Human's Physiological Response under Various Abnormal Driving Conditions, Seminar für Kraftfahrzeugtechnik WS 88/89 TU Berlin Institut für Fahrzeugtechnik VDI-Arbeitskreis Fahrzeugtechnik(ATG) 1988
- Araki K. et al Investigation of Driver's Behaviors in Occurrence of Unexpected Situation by Driving Simulator JSAE Paper 882100 1988
- Araki K. Clarification of Driver's Characteristics by Using Driving Simulator Seminar of Evaluation and Simulation on Vehicle Handling and Stability 1989