This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lateral Stiffness, Cornering Stiffness and Relaxation Length of the Pneumatic Tire
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an experimental program of tire research used to quantify the concept of the “relaxation length” of the fully rolling, steered tire. Two methods of developing lateral force are compared for the general car with the result that a first-order differential equation is obtained from which the change is lateral force with time, or distance, as the steer angle variation is computed.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Free-Rolling Cornering Test for Truck and Bus Tires|
|Technical Paper||Force and Moment Characteristics of Rolling Tires|
|Technical Paper||The Importance of Tire Lag on Simulated Transient Vehicle Response|
CitationLoeb, J., Guenther, D., Chen, H., and Ellis, J., "Lateral Stiffness, Cornering Stiffness and Relaxation Length of the Pneumatic Tire," SAE Technical Paper 900129, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900129.
- Shuring, D.J. “Dynamic Responses of Tires,” Tire Science and Technology , TSTCA 4 2 May 1976 115 145
- Bergman, W. Beauregard, C. “Transient Tire Properties,” SAE Paper 740068 Society of Automotive Engineers New York March 1974
- Lippmann, S.A. Oblizajek, K.L. “Lateral Forces of Passenger Tires and Effects on Vehicle Response During Dynamic Steering,” SAE Paper 760033 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit February 1976
- Phelps, R.L. Pelz, W. Pottinger, M.G. Marshall, K.D. “The Mathematical Characteristics of Steady State, Low Slip Angle Force and Moment Data,” SAE Paper 760031 Socity of Automotive Engineers Detroit February 1976
- Sekula, P.J. Hall, G.L. Potts, G.R. Conant, F. S. “Dynamic Indoor Tire Testing and Fourier Transform Analysis,” Tire Science and Technology , TSTCA 4 2 May 1976 66 85
- Metcalf, W.H. “Effect of Time-Varying Load on Side Force Generated by a Tire Operating at Constant Slip Angle,” SAE Paper 713C Society of Automotive Engineers New York June 1963
- Brewer, H.K. “Measurement of Steady State and Transient Aircraft Tire Forces,” Tire Science and Technology , TSTCA 3 2 May 1975 111 127
- Weber, R. Persch, H.G. “Frequency Response of Tires - Slip Angle and Lateral Force,” SAE Paper 760030 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit February 1976
- Captain, K.M. Boghani, H.B. Wormley, D.N. “Analytical Tire Models for Dynamic Vehicle Simulation,” Vehicle System Dynamics 8 1979 1 32
- Clark, S.K. Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires U.S. Department of Transportation NHTSA 1981
- Doebelin, E.O. System Dynamics Modeling and Response Bell and Howell Co. Columbus, Ohio 1972
- Loeb, J.S. “The Measurement of Tire Static Stiffnesses and Their Relation to Relaxation Lengths,” 1985 Master Thesis The Ohio State University