This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Control of Large Flexible Frame Vehicles Using Bond Graphs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Large vehicles such as buses and trucks suffer from a dynamic resonance problem due to flexure of the vehicle frame. This type of vibration is called “beaming”. Unlike smaller, (relatively) stiffer automobiles, this flexural vibration occurs in these large vehicles at a frequency very close to the wheel-hop frequency and body motion frequencies, and thus is excited easily by typical roadway inputs. The effect of beaming on ride quality differs from one vehicle type to another due to the mounting of the passenger compartment to the frame.
A model that provides insight into the beaming problem is formulated using bond graphs. Bond graphs allow coupling of lumped dynamic effects with the distributed dynamics of the frame, and they permit virtually automated computer coding so that different vehicle types can be simulated using basically the same model. The model utility is demonstrated for some simple automatic control strategies aimed at controlling beaming.
|Technical Paper||Auditory Localization of Backup Alarms: The Effects of Alarm Mounting Location|
|Technical Paper||A General Formulation for Topology Optimization|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Torsional Stiffness Share Rate of Truck Frame|
CitationMargolis, D. and Edeal, D., "Modeling and Control of Large Flexible Frame Vehicles Using Bond Graphs," SAE Technical Paper 892488, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892488.
- Margolis D. L. “Finite Mode Bond Graph Representation of Vehicle-Guideway Interaction Problems” J. Franklin Institute 302 1
- Margolis D. L. “Bond Graphs, Normal Modes, and Vehicle Structures” Vehicle System Dynamics 7 1 49 63 1978
- Margolis D. L. “Bond Graphs for Distributed System Models Admitting Mixed Causal Inputs” ASME J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control 102 2 94 100 June 1980
- Karnopp D, C. Rosenberg R. C. “System Dynamics a Unified Approach” Wiley and Sons New York 1974
- Michelberger P. Keresztes A. Bokor J. Varlaki P. “Dynamics Modelling of Commercial Road Vehicle Structures From Test Data” Proceedings XXth FISITA Congress, Vienna 6-12 4.96 4.104 1984
- Michelberger P. Bokor J. Keresztes A. Varlaki P. “Identification of a Multivariate Linear Model for Road Vehicle (Bus) Dynamics From Test Data” International Journal of Vehicle Design 8 1 1987
- ACSL Manual, Mitchell and Gauthier Associates, Concord, Mass.
- CTRLC, a linear dynamics program developed by SCT in Palo Alto, CA