This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Hydraulic Torsion Damper-A New Concept for Vibration Damping in Powertrains
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Improvements on powertrain NVH are important targets in automotive engineering. This report concentrates on torsional vibration and analyses problem source and vibration system responses. Problems of major concern are discussed in detail. Beside discussions on conventional clutch and damper systems, a new dual mass flywheel concept is introduced: the Hydraulic Torsion Damper (HTD). Functional background and design details are described, showing that controlled slip is an effective way to avoid reversion of disturbing torsional energies and therefore reach torsional isolation without amplification. The slip strategy and the hydraulic control system is introduced along with discussions on oil pump and valve system. From a durability point of view, the question of thermal transport and temperature stability is discussed. Finally, available in-vehicle evaluation results and fatigue test results are shown.
CitationPetri, H. and Heidingsfeld, D., "The Hydraulic Torsion Damper-A New Concept for Vibration Damping in Powertrains," SAE Technical Paper 892477, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892477.
- Reik H. Dr. Das Zweimassenschwungrad, 1. Aachener Kolloquium, Fahrzeug-und Motorentechnik 1987
- Sebulke A. The Two-Mass Flywheel- Torsio-onal Vibration Damper for the Power Train of Passenger Cars-State of the Art and Further Technical Developments, SAE paper 870394 1987
- Drexl HJ. Dr. Torsional Dampers and Alternative Systems to Reduce Drive-line Vibrations, SAE paper 870393 1987
- Kaufhold G. Rechenmodelle für Dreh- und Biegeschwingungen, 1. Aachener Kolloquium, Fahrzeug-u. Motorentechnik 87
- Pinnekamp W. Hydrostatische Kupplungen VDI-Berichte 73 1963
- Laschet A. Simulation von Antriebssystemen, Springer Verlag, 1988 0-387-19464-9