This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Critical Speeds in High Speed Aircraft Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
By recasting the rolling tire system as a large deformation nonlinear eigenvalue problem, this paper develops a methodology capable of handling the critical speed/standing wave response. Based on a moderate/small deformation superposed on large finite element formulation, tangent properties are developed to enable the establishment of the appropriate critical speed eigenvalue problem. The methodology enables the handling of large deformation kinematics material nonlinearity, rotational inertial fields, as well as contact boundary conditions. Employing the model, the results of a benchmark example involving the NASA space shuttle main tires are presented. This includes evaluating the effects of rotation, material stiffness, pressurization and large deformation contact on the critical speed properties.
|Technical Paper||A Simple Takeoff Monitor|
|Technical Paper||Testing of A Loop Heat Pipe Subjected to Variable Accelerating Forces, Part 1: Start-up|
|Technical Paper||Special Report on Bell ACAP Full-Scale Aircraft Crash Test|
CitationPadovan, J., Kazempour, A., Tabaddor, F., and Brockman, B., "Evaluation of Critical Speeds in High Speed Aircraft Tires," SAE Technical Paper 892349, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892349.
- Clark S.K. Mechanics of Pneumatic Tire,US DOT Printing Office Washington, DC 1979
- Champion U.H. Wagner P.M. A Critical Speed Study for Aircraft Bias Ply Tires, U.S. Air-force, AFWAL-TR-88-3006 1988
- Padovan J. On Standing Waves in Tires, The Science and Tech 5 83 1977
- Padovan J. Kennedy R. Nakajima T. Finite Element Analysis of Steady and Transiently Moving/Rolling Nonlinear Viscoelastic Structure, Parts I, II, II, Comp. Struct. 27, 249 1988
- Padovan J. Spectral/Critical Speed Characteristics of Structure Subject to Moving Loads, Int. Jr. Engrg. Sci. 20, 77 1982
- Stafford J. Tabaddor F. ADINA Load Updating for Pressurized Structures, Proc. of ADINA Confer,, MIT 82448-9 537 1979