This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Abnormal Combustion in a Methanol Fueled Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Abnormal combustion in methanol fueled engines was investigated using a combination of ion gap detection and pressure versus crankangle measurements. The ability to differentiate between cool flames and surface ignition is shown. It is shown that cool flames do exist in methanol fueled engines. It is additionally shown that they can occur before the spark plug fires producing cycle to cycle variations in the chemistry of the gases present in the spark plug gap. An analysis of the effect of surface temperature, at the time of deposit formation, on deposit induced surface ignition tendency was made.
CitationSwain, M., Blanco, J., and Swain, M., "Abnormal Combustion in a Methanol Fueled Engine," SAE Technical Paper 892162, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892162.
- Dulla R. McNutt B. Methanol - Promise .and Problems , SP-726, Published by Society of Automotive Engineers 1988
- Wagner T.O. Tatterson D.F. “Comparative Economics of Methanol and Gasoline” SAE Trans 872061
- McNutt B. Dowd J. Holmes J. “The Cost of Making Methanol Available to a National Market” SAE Trans 872063
- Walker J.W. “The GM 1.8 Liter L- 4 Gasoline Engine Designed by Chevrolet” SAE SP-510 1 SAE Paper 820111
- Swain M.R. Swain M.N. Blanco J.A. Adt R.R. “The Effect of Alternative Gasolines on Knock and Intake Valve Sticking” SAE Trans 872040
- Jost W. Low Temperature Oxidation Gordon and Breach Science Publishers New York 1965
- Malherbe F.E. Walsh A.D. “Experiments with Cool Flames, I -Induction Periods” Trans. Faraday Soc, 46 824 835 1950
- Fish A. Read I.A. Affleck W.S. Haskell W.W. “The Controlling Role of Cool Flames in Two-stage Ignition” Combustion and Flame 13 39 49 Feb. 1969
- Personal Communication with Bernard Lewis of the Combustion Institute during the week of April 19 1988
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals , Copyright 1988 McGraw-Hill Book Company New York, NY
- Lewis B. Von Elbe G. Combustion , Flames and. Explosions of Gases , Third Edition, Copyright 1987 Academic Press Inc. Orlando, Florida
- Downs D. Griffiths S.T. Wheeler R.W. “Pre-Flame Reactions in the Spark Ignition Engine: The Influence of Tetraethyl Lead and Other Anti-Knocks” Journal of the Institute of Petroleum 49 469 January 1963