This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emissions of a DDC 8V-71 Engine Fueled with Cetane Improved Methanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study was conducted to determine the feasibility, performance, and emissions of a Detroit Diesel Corporation 8V-71 transit bus engine using ignition-improved methanol as fuel. Major objectives to be achieved by the study were: 1) to determine the minimum amount of ignition improver required for acceptable engine operation; and 2) to compare the exhaust emissions with ignition-improver methanol to emissions with diesel fuel. The engine was tested for emissions using the transient and 13-mode emission procedures and for smoke using the Federal smoke test. In addition to measurement of regulated emissions and smoke, cylinder pressure traces were obtained and compared with pressure traces from operation on diesel fuel. Minimum modifications were made to the engine in adapting it for operation on the methanol/additive mixture.
CitationUrban, C., Timbario, T., and Bechtold, R., "Performance and Emissions of a DDC 8V-71 Engine Fueled with Cetane Improved Methanol," SAE Technical Paper 892064, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892064.
- Cooke, J.A. Selby, K. “The Compression-Ignition Characteristics of Ignition-Improved Alcohols,” VI International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology Ottawa, Canada May 21-25 1984
- Holmer, E. Berg, P.S. Bertilsson, B.I. “The Utilization of Alternative Fuels in a Diesel Engine Using Different Methods,” SAE Paper No. 800544 SAE Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 25-29 1980
- Marshalls, W.F. Experiments with Noval Fuels for Diesel Engines BERC/TPR-77/8 U.S. Department of Energy Technical Information Center 1977
- Johnson, R.J. “Alcohol/Petroleum Systems for Diesel Engines,” presentation at the Automotive Technology Development Contractors' Coordination Meeting October 26-29 1981
- Hardenburg, H.O. Ehnert, E.R. “Ignition Quality Determination Problems with Alternative Fuels for Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper No. 811212 (part of SP-503) 1981 SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Tulsa, Oklahoma October 19-22 1981
- Pischinger, F.F. Burghardt, P. “Use of Alcohol Fuel in Passenger Car Diesel Engines,” VI International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology Ottawa, Canada May 21-25 1984
- Myburgh, J.S. Weiss, E.K.J. “Evaluation of Ignition-Improved Methanol as an Alternative Fuel for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines,” VII International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Paris, France October 1986
- Nigra, F.E.B. Luco, C.E.I. Silva, L.L.C. “The Effects of Cetane improvers on the Rate of Heat Release in Diesel Engines Using Alcohols,” VI International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology Ottawa, Canada May 21-25 1984
- Laurikko, J. “Cold-Start Tests with High Speed Diesel Engines Using Alcohol as the Main Fuel,” VII International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Paris, France October 1986
- Martin, S.F. Emissions from Heavy-Duty Engines Using the 1984 Transient Test Procedure, Volume H-Diesel Report EPA-460/3-81-031 July 1981
- Toepel, R.R. Bennethum, J.E. Heruth, R.E. “Development of Detroit Diesel Allison 6V-92TA Methanol Fueled Coach Engine,” SAE Paper 831744 1983 SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting San Francisco, California October 31 November 3 1983