This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Rollover on Smooth Surfaces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The high expense of vehicle testing leads to the desire to use analysis as much as possible to get an understanding of rollover resistance. There is no shortage of computer programs which claim to be capable of simulating rollover events. The challenge is in providing reasonable parameters for the simulation and in understanding the range of validity of the computed results. This paper presents various mathematical models which bear on rollover, starting with a very simple quasi-static model which requires knowledge of only a few measured vehicle parameters. It then deals with simulations of increasing complexity and increasing need for measurements to provide accurate and detailed input data. The paper closes with remarks on the relationship between simulation and vehicle testing for rollover resistance.
CitationBernard, J., Shannan, J., and Vanderploeg, M., "Vehicle Rollover on Smooth Surfaces," SAE Technical Paper 891991, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891991.
- Ervin, R. D. “The Dependence of Truck Roll Stability on Size and Weight Variables,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 1986
- Rakheja, S. Sankar, S. Ranganathan, R. “Roll Plane Analysis of Articulated Tank Vehicles During Steady Turning,” Vehicle System Dynamics 17 1988 81 104
- Delisle, G. Pearson, J. “Investigating Articulated Vehicle Roll Stability Using a Tilt Table Device,” Report to the Canroad Transportation Research Corporation Ottawa, Canada July 1986
- Ervin, R. D. et al. “Future Configuration of Tank Vehicles Hauling Flammable Liquids in Michigan,” Final Technical Report to the State of Michigan December 1980 Highway Safety Research Institute University of Michigan Report No. UM-HSRI-80-73-1
- Bickerstaff, D. “The Handling Properties of Light Trucks,” SAE Transactions , Paper # 760710
- Ervin, R. D. et al. “Vehicle Handling Performance,” Final Report to the National Highway Safety Administration, Contract DOT-HS-031-1-159 1972
- Rice, R. S. et al. “Development of Vehicle Rollover Maneuver,” Final Report to the DOT June 1978 Contract No. DOT-HS-01382
- Roland, R. D. et al. “The Influence of Tire Properties on Passenger Vehicle Handling,” II Final Report to the DOT June 1974 Contract No. DOT-HS-053-3-727
- McHenry, R. R. Deleys, N. J. “Automobile Dynamics,” CAL Report VJ-225-V-7 August 1970
- Kortum, W. Schiehlen, W. “General Purpose Vehicle System dynamics Software Based on Multibody Formalisms,” Vehicle System Dynamics 14 1985 229 263
- Kim, S. S. Vanderploeg, M. J. “A General and Efficient Method for Dynamic Analysis of Mechanical Systems Using Velocity Transformations,” Paper No. 85-DET-93 ASME Journal of Mechanisms, and Automation in Design 108 June 1986
- Trom, J. D. Lopez, J. Vanderploeg, M. J. “Modeling of a Mid-Size Passenger Car Using a Multibody Dynamics Program,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design 109 December 1987 518 523
- Bernard, J. E. Ervin, R. D. Segel, L. “Traction Modifications Resulting from Test-Induced Treadvear,” Proceedings , Frictional Interaction of Tire and Pavement PCN 04-793000-37
- Bernard, J. E. Segel, L. Wild, R. E. “Tire Shear Force Generation During Combined Steering and Braking Maneuvers,” SAE Transactions September 1977