This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rotary Valves for Small Four-Cycle IC Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 11, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A 500 cm3, air cooled, single cylinder, motor-cycle engine equipped with a novel rotary valve demonstrates a gasoline octane requirement significantly lower than the base-line poppet valve engine. Dynamometer comparison tests over a matrix of part-load and air to fuel-ratio test points, at several engine speeds show a markedly lower specific fuel consumption for the rotary valve. A reduction in ignition advance requirement is observed at these test points and a higher output torque at full load. On-highway motor-cycle comparison tests indicate a consistent fuel advantage for the rotary valve equipped machine. The valve lubrication is hydrodynamic and this is claimed to be the first rotary valve with virtually zero oil consumption and no observable wear.
|Technical Paper||Experiments on Rotary Valve under Steady and Unsteady Flow Conditions|
|Technical Paper||The Rotary Valve as an Alternative|
|Technical Paper||Rotary Valve System for a Four-Cycle G-Kart Racing Engine|
CitationGabelish, P., Vial, A., and Irving, P., "Rotary Valves for Small Four-Cycle IC Engines," SAE Technical Paper 891793, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891793.
- Mackerle, J “Air-cooled Automotive Engines” 1972 Charles Griffin & Co. Ltd 339 343
- Irving, P.E. “About Valves” Road & Track May 1968 29 31
- Hunter, M.C.I. “Rotary Valve Engines” 1946
- Cross, M.E. “Means Of Valving Small Four-stroke I C Engines” I Mech E Paper C128/78 1978
- US Patent No. 4,597, 321 European No. 0 112 069
- Overington, M.T. Thring R.H. “Gasoline Engine Combustion-Turbulence and the Combustion Chamber” SAE Paper No. 810017 1981
- Stronach F. “Four-Stroke Breakthrough” Revs Motor Cycle News 16 6 Dec. 24 1982 Jan. 13 1983 19 23
- Stronach F. “Four-Stroke Breakthrough” Revs Motor Cycle News 21 6 Nov. 27 Dec. 10 1987 32 34
- Stansell John “Clean-Air Cars Reach Crossroads” New Scientist 24 Nov 1983 564 567