This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Considerations on the Measures of Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in SI Engine
Published November 01, 1989 by Society of Automotive Engineers of China in China
Annotation ability available
An experimental study was carried out to investigate the characteristics of cycle-by-cycle variations of combustion in a spark ignition engine. Cylinder pressure - crank angle histories of the 240 consecutive cycles were measured in the single cylinder by using a personal computer (IBM-PC AT) controlled data acquisition system which is developed for engine tests. From these data, a heat release analysis was performed for cycles and the averaged.
It was observed that characteristics of the pressure and combustion rate related parameters varies with operating conditions such as air fuel ratio, ignition timing, and so on. Variation in early flame stage is the major cause for for the cycle-by-cycle variation of combustion. It was also noticed that the variation in early flame stage does not influence the mean effective pressure significantly in case of a rapid burn operation.
CitationLee, J., Kim, E., and Cho, K., "Some Considerations on the Measures of Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 891328, 1989.
- Soltau J. P. “Cylinder Pressure Variation in Petrol Engines,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 2 1960-61
- Patterson D. J. “Pressure Variations, A Fundamental Combustion Problem,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 660129 1966
- Peters B. D. Borman G. L. “Cyclic Variations and Average Burning Rates in an S.I. Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 700064 1970
- Arrigoni V. Calri F. Gornett G. M. Pozzi U. “Turbulent Flame Structure as Determined by Pressure Development and Ionization Intensity,” SAE Trans., 730058 1973
- Milkins E. E. et. al. “Cycle by Cycle Variability in Emissions of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 741034 1974
- Pundir B. P. Zvnow V. A. Gupta C. P. “Effect of Charge Nonhomogeneity on Cycle by Cycle Variations in Combustion in S.I. Engine,” SAE Trans., 810774 1981
- Hansel H. G. “A Turbulent Combustion Model of Cycle to Cycle Combustion Variations in Spark Ignition Engine,” Combustion Science & Technology 2 1970
- Barton R. K. Letze S. S. Meyer W. E. “An Empirical Model for Correlation Cycle to Cycle Gas Motion and Combustion Variations of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 710163 1971
- Winsor R. E. Patterson D. J. “Mixture Turbulence - A Key to Cyclic Combustion Variation,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 730086 1973
- Lee J. H. “A Study on the Characteristics of Cycle by Cycle Variation of Combustion in Spark Ignition Engine,” Seoul National University 1989
- Young M. B. “Cyclic Dispersion in the Homogeneous Charge Spark Ignition Engine - A Literature Survey,” SAE Trans., 810020 1981
- Matekunas F. A. “Modes and Measure of Cyclic Combustion Variability,” SAE Trans., 830337 1983
- Belmont M. R. Hancock M. S. Buckingham D. J. “Statistical Aspects of Cyclic Variability,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 860324 1986
- Yamamoto H. Misumi M. “Analysis of Cyclic Combustion Variation in a Lean Operating S.I. Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 870547 1987
- Lancaster D. R. Krieger R. B. Lienesch J. M. “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data,” SAE Trans., 750026 1975
- Plee S. L. Remboski D. J. Martin J. K. “Application of Conditional Sampling to the Study of Cyclic Variability in Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper No. 871173 1987