This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torsional Vibrations and Design Charts for Hollow Shafts with Variable Cross Section
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Shafts with variable cross section are encountered in many applications such as engine crankshafts, ship and aircraft propellers, turbomachinery, and bearing housings. The present study investigates torsional vibration characteristics of elastic homogeneous nonprismatic hollow shafts. Integrating the wave-propagation equation, the spatial angle of twist is expressed as a linear combination of Bessel functions. The natural frequencies of vibration are obtained from the zeros of the Bessel functions that result upon satisfying the appropriate end conditions. Three different types of end conditions are considered: both ends fixed, both ends free, and one free-one fixed end. A design chart has been developed to determine the natural frequency of a nonprismatic hollow shaft upon specifying its geometric profile, end dimensions, and end conditions. By comparing the natural frequencies of a nonprismatic shaft and its equivalent prismatic hollow shaft, it was found that the error associated with neglecting the variation in the shaft cross section across its axis is pronounced for the case of one end free-one end fixed. The error becomes a minimum when the ratio between the inner radius and outer radius at x=0 is a minimum.
CitationRezeka, S., "Torsional Vibrations and Design Charts for Hollow Shafts with Variable Cross Section," SAE Technical Paper 891149, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891149.
- Wingate R. “Perturbation solution of a hyperbolic equation govering longitudinal wave propagation in certain non-uniform bars,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 47 1334 1337 1968
- Moodie T.B. “Wave propagation in inhomogeneous variable section viscoelastic bars,” Acta Mechanica 23 199 217 1975
- Eason G. “Wave propagation in inhomogeneous elastic media,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 57 1267 1277 1967
- Richard J. “Vibrations de torsion d'arbre de section variable,” Revue Française de Mécanique 44 13 20 1972
- Pouyet J.M. Lataillade J.L. “Torsional Vibrations of a shaft with non-uniform cross section,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 76 1 13 22 1981
- Eason G. “Wave propagation in inhomogeneous elastic media,” Acta Mechanica 7 137 160 1969
- Jahnke E. Emde F. “Tables of Functions,” 4th Dover Publications N.Y. 1945
- Abramowitz M. Stegun I.A. “Handbook of Mathematical Functions,” Dover Publications N.Y. 1972