This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Internal Stresses In Functional Chromium Electrodeposits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The internal stresses in thin chromium electrodeposits plated in an additive-free and three solutions containing different additives were determined. The stress-measuring device consisted of an electrobalance which applied a force to prevent the bending due to the stress of a copper or steel strip plated on only one side. The graphs of the force applied by the electrobalance vs deposit thickness showed four distinct regions: (1) compression to a thickness of 5 nm, (2) rapidly increasing tension to 50 nm followed by slight decrease in tension to 60 nm, (3) rapid decrease in tension between 250 and 300 nm and (4) decrease in tension to zero or small compression after 400-600 nm. The tensile stresses were probably caused by hydrogen diffusion out of the surface layer and crystallite coalescence. The tensile stresses were relieved when the deposits cracked. It was found that the deposits with the lowest tensile stresses had the highest degree of preferred orientation and vice versa. The additives affected crystallite coalescence and thereby the stress.
CitationMartyak, N., Wetterer, S., and Weil, R., "Internal Stresses In Functional Chromium Electrodeposits," SAE Technical Paper 890937, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890937.
- Snavely, C. A. Trans. Electrochem. Soc. 92 537 1947
- Weil, R Plating 57 1231 1970 58 50 137 1971
- Ragunathan, K. Weil, R. Surface Technology 10 331 1980
- Dennis, J. K. Trans. Inst. Metal Finish. 43 84 1965
- Cleghorn, W. H. West. J. M. Trans. Inst. Metal Finish. 44 68 1966
- Such, T. E. Partington, M. Trans. Inst. Metal Finish. 42 68 1964
- Solov'eva, Z. A. Solodkova, L. N. Adziev, B. U. Electrodep. and Surface Treatm. 1 339 1973
- Adziev, B. U. Solov'eva Z. A. Soviet Electrochem. 15 386 1979
- Brenner, A. Senderoff, S. Proc. Am. Electroplaters' Soc. 35 53 1948
- Feigenbaum, H. Weil, R. J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 2085 1979
- Chessin, H. Newby, K. 1986
- Korbach, W. C. McMullen, W.H. 1988