This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurements of the Three Components of the velocity in the Intake Ports of an I. C. Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The three components of the velocity were measured by laser Doppler velocimetry at 35 locations in each of the six intake ports of a single-cylinder I.C. engine motored at 600, 900, and 1200 rpm. The intake ports were designed to impart both swirl and roll to the air. Pressure was also measured at the intake and exhaust. The detailed information is valuable mostly for computations of engine flows and for the assessment of multidimensional models. However the following trends were observed. The intake velocity is affected by resonant pressure waves. The flows in the six ports tend to be similar. The three components of the ensemble-averaged velocity generally have uniform profiles across the port area, whereas the fluctuation intensities are higher at the top of the port. All velocities tend to be higher at the beginning and end of intake. Averaged over the port area and intake time, the ensemble-averaged radial and axial velocity components are about 5 times the mean piston speed, the tangential component is about 10 times, and the fluctuation intensities are between 2 and 3.4 times.
CitationBardsley, M., Gajdeczko, B., Boulouchos, K., Cherhroudi, B. et al., "Measurements of the Three Components of the velocity in the Intake Ports of an I. C. Engine," SAE Technical Paper 890792, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890792.
- Liou, T.M. Hall, M. Santavicca, D.A. and Bracco, F.V., “LDV Measurements in Valved and Ported Engines”. SAE Paper 840375, 1984.
- Iijima, T. and Bracco, F.V., “LDV Measurements in an Engine with Square and Circular Piston Cups”, SAE Paper 872073, 1987.
- Hall, M.J. Santavicca, D.A. and Bracco, F.V., “Cycle-Resolved Velocity and Turbulence Intensity Measurements in an IC Engine with Combustion”, SAE Paper 860320, 1986.
- Hall, M.J. and Bracco, F.V., “Cycle-Resolved Velocity and Turbulence Measurements Near the Cylinder Wall of a Firing IC Engine”. SAE Paper 861530, 1986.
- Hall, M.J. and Bracco, F.V., “A Study of Velocities and Turbulence Intensities in Firing and Motored Engines”, SAE Paper 870453, 1987.
- Eraser, R.A. and Bracco, F.V., “Cycle-Resolved LDV Integral Length Scale Measurements in an IC Engine”. SAE Paper 880381, 1988.
- Fraser, R.A. and Bracco, F.V., “Cycle-Resolved LDV Integral Length Scale Measurements Investigating Clearance Height Scaling, Isotropy and Homogeneity Around TDC in an IC Engine”, 1989 SAE Congress and Exposition, February 1989.
- zur Loye. A.O. and Bracco, F.V., “Two-Dimensional Visualization of Premixed-Charge Flame Structure in an IC Engine”, SAE Paper 870454 and Special Publication SP-715, 1987.
- Mantzaras, J., Felton, P.G. and Bracco, F.V., “3-D Visualization of Premixed-Charge Engine Flames: Islands of Reactants and Products; Fractal Dimensions; and Homogeneity”, SAE Paper 881635, and Special Publication SP-759, 1988.
- Felton, P.G., Mantzaras, J., Bomse, D. and Woodin, R., “Initial Two-Dimensional Laser Induced Fluorescence Measurements of OH in an Internal Combustion Engine”, SAE Paper 881633, 1988.
- Bardsley, M.E.A., Felton, P.G. and Bracco, F.V., “2-D Visualization of Liquid and Vapor Fuel in an IC Engine”. SAE Paper 880521, 1988.
- Bardsley, M.E.A., Felton, P.G. and Bracco, F.V., “2-D Visualization of a Hollow-Cone Spray in a Cup-in Head, Ported, IC Engine”, 1989 SAE Congress and Exposition, February 1989.
- Boulouchos, K., Chehroudi, B. and Bracco, F.V., “Preliminary Velocity and Pressure Measurements in the Intake Ports of a Two-Stroke I.C. Engine”, ASME 109th Winter Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, November 1988.
- Durst, F. Melling, A. and Whitelaw, J.H., “Principles and Practices of Laser-Doppler Anemometry”, Academic Press, 1976.
- Chehroudi, B. and Simpson, R.L., “Scanning LDA and Its Applications in Turbulent Separated Flow”, Report SMU-WT-7. Southern Methodist University, 1983.
- Libu, T.-M., “Laser-Doppler Velocimetry Measurements in Valved and Ported Engines”, Ph.D. Thesis no. 1602, Princeton University, May 1983.
- Hall, M.J., “A Study of Velocities and Turbulence Intensities Measured in Firing and Motored Engines”, Ph.D. Thesis no. 1764, Princeton University, 1986.