This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes the rationale used to specify the geometric, inertial and impact response requirements for a small adult female dummy and a large adult male dummy with impact biofidelity and measurement capacity comparable to the Hybrid III dummy, the most advanced midsize adult male dummy. Body segment lengths and weights for these two dummies were based on the latest anthropometry studies for the extremes of the U.S.A. adult population. Other characteristic body segment dimensions were calculated from geometric and mass scaling relationships that assured that each body segment had the same mass density as the corresponding body segment of the Hybrid III dummy. The biomechanical impact response requirements for the head, neck, chest and knee of the Hybrid III dummy were scaled to give corresponding biomechanical impact response requirements for each dummy. Design drawings for each dummy were obtained by applying geometric scaling factors to the design drawings of the Hybrid III. With this procedure, dummies made according to the scaled drawings should meet their respective scaled biomechanical impact response requirements.
CitationMertz, H., Irwin, A., Melvin, J., Stanaker, R. et al., "Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 890756, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890756.
- Hybrid III Drawing Package NHTSA Docket No. 74-14, Notice 39 1986
- Schneider, L. W. Robbins, D. H. Pflug, M. A. Snyder, R. G. “Development of Anthropometrically Based Design Specifications for an Advanced Adult Anthropomorphic Dummy Family” 1 NHTSA Contract No. DTNH22-80-C-07502 December 1983
- Reynolds, H. M. Snow, C. C. Young, J. W. “Spatial Geometry of the Human Pelvis” Protection and Survival Laboratory Memorandum Report No. AAC-119-81-5 CAMI, FAA Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 1981
- Daniel, R. P. Test Dummy Submarining Indicating System” U.S.A. Patent No. 3841163 October 15 1974
- Leung, Y. C. Tarriere, C. Fayon, A. Mairesse, P. Delmas, A. Banzet, P. “A Comparison Between Part 572 Dummy and Human Subject in the Problem of Submarining,” SAE 791026 , Proceedings of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1979
- “Anthropomorphic Test Dummy” Final Report I NHTSA Contract No. DOT-HS-299-3-569 December 1973
- Hubbard, R. P. McLeod, D. G. “A Basis for Crash Dummy Skull and Head Geometry” Human impact Response - Measurement and Simulation. Plenum Press N.Y. 1973
- Hubbard, R. P. McLeod, D. G. “Definition and Development of a Crash Dummy Head” SAE 741193 , Proceedings of the 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference December 1974
- Young, J. W. Chandler, R. F. Snow, C. C. Robinette, K. M. Zehner, C. F. Lofberg, M. S. “Anthropometric and Mass Distribution Characteristics of the Adult Female” Federal Aviation Administration Report No. FAA-AM-83-16 NHTSA Report No. DOT HS 806510 September 1983
- McConville, J. T. Churchill, T. D. Kaleps, I. Clauser, C. E. Cuzzi, J. “Anthropometric Relationships of Body and Body Segment Moments of Inertia” Air Force Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Report No. AFAMRL-TR-80-119 December 1980
- Foster, J. K. Kortge, J. O. Wolanin, M. J. “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy” SAE 770938 , 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1977
- Haffner, M. “Synthesis of Pelvic Fracture Criteria for Lateral impact Loading” Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Oxford, England 1985
- Haut, R. C. Viano, D. C. Vostal, J. J. “Evaluation of the in Vivo Response to Traumatic Posterior Tibial Drawer” Transactions of the 26th Annual Meeting of the Orthopedic Research Society Atlanta, Georgia 1980
- Viano, D. C. Culver, C. C. Haut, R. C. “Bolster Impacts to the Knee and Tibia of Human Cadavers and an Anthropomorphic Dummy” SAE 780896 , 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1978
- Thomson, W. T. Mechanical Vibrations 2nd Prentice-Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, N. J. June 1954
- Boresi, A. P. Sidebottom, O. M. Advanced Mechanics of Materials, 4th John Wiley and Sons N.Y. 1985