This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integration of Computational Methods into Automotive Wind Tunnel Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamics of a generic, enclosed-wheel racing-car shape without wheels was investigated numerically and was compared with one-quarter scale wind-tunnel data. Because both methods lack perfection in simulating actual road conditions, a complementary application of these methods was studied. The computations served for correcting the high-blockage wind-tunnel results and provided detailed pressure data which improved the physical understanding of the flow field. The experimental data was used here mainly to provide information on the location of flow-separation lines and on the aerodynamic loads; these in turn were used to validate and to calibrate the computations.
This combined computational/experimental approach, with the computations being used primarily to study attached now conditions, can reduce wind-tunnel experimental program length and allow for additional testing of more complex problems such as flow separation.
|Technical Paper||Validation of Real-Time Multi-Body Vehicle Dynamics Models for Use in Product Design and Acquisition|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Negative Lifting Surfaces Attached to an Open-Wheel Racing Car Configuration|
CitationKatz, J., "Integration of Computational Methods into Automotive Wind Tunnel Testing," SAE Technical Paper 890601, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890601.
- Ahmed, S. R. Hucho, W. H. “The Calculation of the Flow Field Past a Van with the Aid of Panel Method,” SAE Paper No. 77-0390 1977
- Losito, V. De Nicola, C. Albertoni, S. Berta, C. “Numerical Solutions of Potential and Viscous Flows Around Road Vehicles,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design, Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP3, Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design 429 440 1983
- Chometon, F. “Calculating Three-Dimensional Separated Flow Around Road Vehicles,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design, Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP3, Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design 374 386 1983
- Summa, J.M. Maskew, B. “Predicting Automobile Aerodynamic Characteristics Using an Iterative Viscous/Potential Flow Technique,” SAE Paper No. 83-0303 1983
- Katz, J. “Aerodynamic Model for Wing-Generated Down Force on Open-Wheel Racing-Car Configurations,” SAE Paper 860218 February 1986
- Beccio, S. Lombardi, C. Garrone, A. Berta, C. “Endurance Group C1 Lancia Racing Car-Definition of Rear Wing Aerodynamic Contour,” SAE Paper 870727 January 1987
- Shaw, C. T. “Predicting Vehicle Aerodynamics Using Computational Fluid Dynamics - A User's Perspective,” SAE Paper 880455 Feb. 1988
- Katz, J. Largman, R. “Experimental Study of the Aerodynamic Interaction Between an Enclosed-Wheel Racing-Car and its Rear Wing,” ASME J. Fluids Engineering June 1989
- Maskew, B. “Program VSAERO, A Computer Program for Calculating the Nonlinear Aerodynamic Characteristics of Arbitrary Configurations,” NASA CR-166476 Nov. 1982
- Johnson, F. T. “A General Panel Method for the Analysis and Design of Arbitrary Configurations in Incompressible Flows,” NASA CR-3079 May 1980
- Margason, R. J. Kjelgaard, S. O. Sellers, W. L. 3rd. Morris, C. E. K. Jr. Walkey, K. B. Shields, E. W. “Subsonic Panel Methods - A Comparison of Several Production Codes” AIAA Paper 85-0280 Reno Nevada Jan. 1985
- Hess, J. L. “Calculation of Potential Flow About Arbitrary Three- Dimensional Lifting Bodies,” Final Technical Report MDC J5679-01 McDonnell Douglas Long Beach, California Oct. 1972
- Katz, J. Maskew, B. “Unsteady Low-Speed Aerodynamic Model for Complete Aircraft Configurations,” J. Aircraft 25 4 1988 302 310
- Rae, W. H. Jr. Pope, A. “Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1984
- Hackett, J. E. Sampath, S. Phillips, C. G. “Determination of Wind Tunnel Constraint Effects by a Unified Wall Pressure Signature Method,” NASA CR-166, 186 June 1981
- Carr, G. W. Stapleford, W. R. “Blockage Effects in Automotive Wind-Tunnel Testing,” SAE Paper No. 860093 Feb. 1986
- Scibor-Rylski, A. “Experimental Investigation of the Negative Aerodynamic Lift Wings Used on Racing Cars,” Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics, BHRA Fluid Engineering 147 154 1973