This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Cylinder D. I. Diesel Engine Tests with Unstabilized Emulsion of Water and Ethanol in Diesel Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The combustion of diesel fuel emulsions with immiscible, low-boiling point liquids, such as water and lower alcohols, presents some interesting outlooks.
A study has been carried out in order to determine the effects on the engine performances and exhaust emissions of ethanol and water as internal phases in diesel fuel unstabilized emulsions - directly formed in the injection line.
Using a four cylinders, direct injection, water-cooled, diesel engine fed with ethanol emulsions (at 10, 20, 30 and 40 mass percentages) and water emulsions (at 10 and 20 mass percentages), data were obtained, the engine speed varying, at full load, from 1100 to 2000 rpm.
Comparison with the diesel fuel operation was made by using two different criteria: constant total energy input rate and constant total mass flow into the engine, Further experiments, varying the load and the injection timing, were also carried out.
The results show that ethanol and water could replace up to 40% and 20%, respectively, of diesel fuel, while keeping the normal engine operating stability.
A better thermal efficiency and an increased ignition delay were obtained by burning both kinds of emulsions.
Carbon monoxide emissions, smoke and particulate mass rates were lower in emulsion - feeding conditions.
Oxides of nitrogen emissions depend mainly on the internal phase amount and on the kind of emulsion and the comparison criteria.
Furthermore, the use of ethanol emulsions seems to affect the size distribution of the exhaust particulate. Such aspect, however, requires additional studies.
Finally, for a better interpretation of the obtained results, a simple zero-dimensional thermodynamic model of the engine cycle was developed.
CitationDe Vita, A., "Multi-Cylinder D. I. Diesel Engine Tests with Unstabilized Emulsion of Water and Ethanol in Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 890450, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890450.
- Schaefer A.J. Handerberg H.O. “Ignition Improvers for Ethanol Fuels” Sae pap., n. 81.0249
- Bandel W. Ventura L.M. “Problems in adapting ethanol fuels to the requirements of diesel engines” 4th Int. Symp. on Alcohol fuel Gurujà, Brazil oct. 1980
- Fahlander S. Walde N. “Ethanol fuels with ignition improver for turbocharged diesel engine” 4th Int. Symp. on Alcohol fuel Gurujà, Brazil oct. 1980
- Hardemberg H.O. Weiss K.J. “Mechanical problems with the use of ignition-improved methanol in a heavy-duty diesel engine” SAE pap., n. 872092
- Ryan T.W. III Likos W.E. Moses C. A. “The use of Hybrid Fuel in a Single - Cylinder Diesel Engine” SAE pap., n. 801380
- Adelman H.G. “Utilization of Pure Alcohol Fuels in a Diesel Engine by Spark Ignition” 4th Int. Symp. on Alcoh. Fuel Brazil oct. 1980
- Nagalingam B. “Surface Initiated Combustion of Alcohol in Diesel Engines” SAE pap., n. 800262
- Havenith C. Kuepper H. Higler U. “Performance and emission characteristics of the Deutz glow plug assisted heavy-duty methanol engine” SAE pap. n. 872245
- Strait J. Boedicker J.J Johansen K.C. “Diesel Oil and Ethanol Mixtures for Diesel - Powered Farm Tractors” SAE pap., n. 790958
- Bignardi L. Tomasini E.P. De Vita A. Orofino L. Scognamiglio A. “High speed diesel feeding by carburation of the intake air” ISATA Graz sep. 1979
- Karim G.A. Burn K.S. “The combustion of gaseous fuels in a dual fuel engine of the compression ignition type with particular reference to cold intake temperature conditions” SAE pap. 800263
- Fujisawa T. Yokota K. “A new look at the utilization of alternate fuels for diesel engines - IDIS” SAE pap., n. 810998
- Broukhiyan E.M.H. Lestz S.S. “Ethanol fumigation of a light duty automotive diesel engine” SAE pap., n. 811209
- Govindarajan S. et al. “Road performances of a diesel vehicle with supplementary carburation of alcohol” SAE pap., n. 810347
- Few P.C. Newlyn A. “Dual fuel combustion in a turbocharged diesel engine” SAE pap., n. 871661
- Nielsen O.B. Qvale B. Sorenson S. “Ignition delay in the dual fuel engine” SAE pap., n. 870589
- Schroeder A.R. White R.A. Sorenson S.C. “The effect of diesel injection timing on turbocharged diesel engine fumigated with ethanol” SAE pap., n. 880496
- Hayes T.K. “The effect of fumigation of different ethanol proofs on a turbocharged diesel engine” M.S. Thesis University of Ill. at U-C 1986
- Baranescu R.A. “Fumigation of alcohols in a multicylinder diesel engine - evaluation of the potential” SAE pap., n. 860308
- Khan N. Gollahalli S.R. “Performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine burning unstabilized emulsions of diesel fuel with water, methanol, and ethanol” SAE pap., n, 81121021
- Ryan T.W. III Likos W.E. Moses C.W. “The use of alcohol emulsions as fuels for compression ignition engine - experiments and theories” 3th Symp. on Emulsified Fuels in Combustion Cambridge may 1980
- Gollahalli S.R. Javadi S.H. “A comparative study of flame structures of the burning sprays of the emulsions of jet a fuel with water and methanol” 19th AIAA St. Louis 1981
- Lawson A. Last A.J. “Modified fuels for diesel engines by application of unstabilized emulsions” SAE pap., n. 790925
- Donelly J.J. White H.M. 2. Aereospace Corp., El Segundo, California, report n. A101 - 82C5502 sep. 1982
- Chiappini E. De Vita A. “Analisi del particolato allo scarico di un motore diesel veloce alimentato con emulsioni non stabilizzate di acqua e/o alcool in gasolio” “XI Convegno Nazionale della Sez. Italiana del Combustion Institute” Punta Ala (GR) Italy 1986
- Valdmanis E. Wulfhorst D.E. “The effects of emulsified fuels and water induction on diesel combustion” SAE pap., n. 700736
- Murayama T. et al. “Experimental reduction of NOx, smoke, and bsfc in a diesel engine using uniquely produced water (0 - 80%) to fuel emulsion” SAE pap., n. 780224
- Coon C.W. Jr., “Multi-cylinder diesel engine tests with unstabilized water-in-fuel emulsions” SAE pap., n. 810250
- Walter R.A. “The emissions and fuel economy of a Detroit diesel 6-71 engine burning a 10 percent water-in-fuel emulsion” Report n. CG-D-78 U. S. Dpt. of Transp., U. S. Coast Guard 1978
- Cook D.H. Law C.K. “A preliminary study on the utilization of water in-oil emulsions in diesel engines” Comb. Science and Technology 18 217 1978
- Tsukahara M. Murayama T. Miyamoto N. Yoshimoto Y. “Influence of combustion chamber configurations on the combustion in diesel engine driven by emulsified fuel” Bulletin of JASME 25 208 oct. 1982
- Afify E.M. Korah N.S. Dickey D.W. “The effect of air charge temperature on performance, ignition delay and exhaust emissions of diesel engine using W/O emulsions as fuel” SAE pap., n. 870555
- Andrews G.E. et al. “The reduction in diesel particulate emission using emulsified fuels” SAE pap., n. 880348
- Cau G. Pelagagge M.P. “A theoretical approach to the combustion of fuel-alcohol blends” Transaction of ASME 107 oct. 1985
- De Vita A. Pelagagge M.P. “M.C.I. alimentati con miscele alcoolcombustibile tradizionale: considerazioni teoriche” ATA 11 nov. 1985
- Chiappini E. De Vita A. Schirripa Spagnolo G. Salmi M. “Sistema a microprocessore, dedicato alle misure di consume combustibile, per banco prova motori” Automazione e strumentazione 10 oct. 1986
- Zinner K. “Die umrechung dek leistung von verbrennungsmotoren, insbesondere dieselmotoren, in abhangigkeit vom atmospharischen zustand” MTZ 115 109 1950
- Wu T. McAulay K.J. “Predicting diesel engine performance at various ambient conditions” SAE pap., n. 730148
- Ghezzi U. Ortolani C. “Combustione ed inquinamento” 1974
- Cau G. “Equilibrio di gas di combustione un procedimento di calcolo” Inst, of Mech. and Mach., University of L'Aquila Italy may 1982
- Benson R.S. Whitehouse N.D. “Internal combustion engines” Pergamon Press 1979