This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances in the Development of Wind Tunnel Balance Systems for Experimental Automotive Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For many reasons, external balances allow for a higher degree of accuracy and wider range of application than internal balances. By adoption of the well known mathematical force separation schemes from internal balances, and through the introduction of highly accurate master load cells, external balances have improved considerably during recent years. Further development, however, gives reason for additional new improvements: An optical ccd camera. controlled center of gravity measuring device with on-line correction of measured pitching moments; a removable rolling floor for better boundary layer simulation, with the advantage of easy exchange for boundary layer suction devices or solid floors; and a completely new developed combined platform and pyramidal balance. This development allows for a significant increase of adaptabilities to required measurements. As a result, measurements of models with a low reference point (cars), and models with a reference point in the tunnel axis (aircraft), are possible without any loss of accuracy.
CitationPreusser, T., Polansky, L., and Giesecke, P., "Advances in the Development of Wind Tunnel Balance Systems for Experimental Automotive Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 890370, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890370.
- Giesecke P. Development Stages of External Wind Tunnel Balances La Dynamique des Vehicules Automobiles Lyon 1985
- Preusser T. Stand der Entwicklung bei externen 6-Komponenten-Windkanalwaagen wägen und dosieren 1988 64 68
- Seidel M. Construction - Design, Manufacturing, Calibration, of the German-Dutch Wind Tunnel (DNW) 95 99
- Vagt J. D. Wolff B. Special Design Features and their Influence on Flow Quality Auto-Tech 1987 London 1987
- Giesecke P. Sechs-Komponenten-Plattform-Windkanalwaage mit “On-line”-Korrektur der Schwerpunktsverschiebung atz 87 1 31 1985
- Berndtson A. Eckert W. T. Mercker E. The Effect of Boundary Layer Control on Automotive Testing in a Wind Tunnel SAE 880248 1988
- Wiedemann H.-J. Grenzen und Möglichkeiten der Modelltechnik innerhalb der Kfz-Aerodynamik Aerodynamik des Kraftfahrtzeuges Essen 1987