This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engineering Study on the Rotary-Vee Engine Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper provides a review of the applicable thermodynamic cycle and performance considerations when the rotary-vee mechanism is used as an internal combustion (I. C.) heat engine. Included is a simplified kinematic analysis and studies of the effects of design parameters on the critical pressures, torques and parasitic losses. A discussion of the principal findings is presented.
CitationWillis, E., Bartrand, T., and Beard, J., "Engineering Study on the Rotary-Vee Engine Concept," SAE Technical Paper 890332, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890332.
- Lindsley E.F., “Rotary V”, Popular Science, August, 1974.
- Tripolsky B., “Bricklin Comes Back With a Rotary Engine”, Mechanix Illustrated, January, 1977.
- Calvin D., “Rotary Vee Engine”, Sport Aviation, February, 1986.
- , “Oklahoma Inventor Thinks Rotary-V Worth a Look”, Ward's Engine Update, January, 1989.
- , “Bricklin/Turner test results”, Doug Roe Engineering, Tempe, Arizona, 1977.
- , “to Stroke… Or Not Two Stroke”, Automotive Industries, May, 1988.
- , “Ward's Wrapup”, Ward's Auto World, August, 1988.
- Doughty S., “Mechanics of Machines”, Chapter 7, Wiley, 1988.
- Taylor C.F., “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice”, Vol. 1, Chapters 2 and 7 and Vol. 2, Chapter 8, The MIT Press, 1985.
- Gatowski J.A., et al., “Heat Release Analysis of Engine Pressure Data”, SAE 841359, 1984.
- Norman T.J., “A Performance Model of a Spark Ignition Wankel Engine; Including the Effects of Crevice Volumes, Leakage and Heat Transfer”, Master's Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June, 1983.
- Roberts J.M., “Heat Release Estimation and Prediction of Wankel Stratified-Charge Combustion Engine”, Master's Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, September, 1985.
- Wiebe J.J., “Das Wiebe - Brenngesitz ein Fortschnitt in der Kreigspozesse von Verbren-nungsmotoren”, Trans, by Joute A. Prof. and Dressen T.H., Kraftadrzeugtechnik, Vol. 9 (1960).
- Woschni G., “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine”, SAE 670931, 1967.