This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Aged Hot Tightness Test for Gaskets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Paper describes the special test equipment developed for evaluating the elevated temperature leakage performance of gaskets. Early results indicate that an elevated temperature test must be run over a period of days or weeks in order for the time/temperature effects to be meaningful. The objective was therefore to develop test methods which would permit the aging of a test gasket in a Kiln for as long as desired before being evaluated for tightness. Results of leakage tests on asbestos and non-asbestos rubber-bound sheet gasket materials are presented. They indicate that the aged hot tightness tests (named AHOT) are effective and offer many possibilities including long term aging at temperatures beyond the limits of the tightness test machine. These tests are therefore suitable as means to confirm elevated temperature gasket performance estimates from screening tests.
|Technical Paper||Advanced High-Temperature Test Methods for Gasket Materials, 1991|
|Technical Paper||Testing Gasket Materials for Design Purposes|
CitationBazergui, A., Marchand, L., and Payne, J., "The Aged Hot Tightness Test for Gaskets," SAE Technical Paper 890273, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890273.
SAE Transactions Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V98-5; Published: 1990-09-01
Number: V98-5; Published: 1990-09-01
- Payne J. R. “The PVRC Gasket Testing Effort - An Overview,” Asbestos Substitute Gasket and Packing Materials Seminar Valve Manufacturers Association of America Houston, Texas August 1986 25
- Bazergui A. Marchand L. “PVRC Milestone Gasket Tests, First Results,” Welding Research Council Bulletin , No. 292 Feb. 1984 1 36
- Bazergui A. Marchand L. Raut H.D. “Development of a Production Test Procedure for GasKets,” Welding Research Council Bulletin , No. 309 Nov. 1085 1 39
- Payne J. R. Bazergui A. Leon G.F. “Getting New Gasket Design Constants from Gasket Tightness Data,” Experiment Techniques , Society for Experimental Mechanics October 1988
- Birembaut Y. Bravo F. “Influence of High Temperature on Mechanical and Sealing Properties of Flat Gaskets,” Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Fluid Sealing BHRA The Fluid Engineering Center, Elsevier Applied Science Publishers Nau B.S. 664 697 1987
- Sauter E. Demel O. “The Performance of Static Gaskets; a New Experimental Method of Characterization,” Proc, Int. Symp. Fluid Sealing, CETIM Nantes 159 166 1986
- Bazergui A. Marchand L. “Development of Tightness Test Procedures for Gaskets in Elevated Temperature Service,” Sept. 1966 WRC Bulletin
- Bazergui A. Marchand L. Payne J.R. “Development of a Hot Tightness Rig for Gaskets,” Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Fluid Sealing BHRA The Fluid Engineering Center, Elsevier Applied Science Publishers Nau B.S. April 1987 674 683
- Payne J.R. Derenne M. Bazergui A. “Estimating Elevated Temperature Gasket Performance with ATRS Tests,” SAE International Congress, and Exposition - Gasket Symposium February 1989
- American National Standard “Pipe Flanges and Flange Fittings - ANSI B16.5-1981,” The American Society of Mechanical Engineers N.Y. 1981
- Payne J.R. Bazergui A. “Evaluation of Test Methods for Asbestos Replacement Gasket Materials,” MTI Project No. 47, Final Report Materials Technology Institute of the Chemical Process Industries, Inc. October 1988
- Bazergui A. Louis G. “Tests with various Gases in Gasketed Joints,” Experimental Techniques, Society for Experimental Mechanics October 1988