This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Complete NVH Optimisation of a Passenger vehicle with a D. I. Diesel Engine to Meet Subjective Market Demands and Future Legislative Requirements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Noise legislation and subjective customer demands set future standards for noise and vibration control in all types of vehicles, from small passenger cars to heavy trucks. To obtain the required improvements, it is necessary - particularly for vehicles with diesel engines - to deal with all parameters which effect vehicle interior and exterior noise.
For optimisation of total vehicle noise-vibration-harshness (NVH) the interaction of the power unit and other noise sources with the power unit mounting system, the vehicle chassis structural response and the vehicle local transmission losses have to be taken into account. It is then possible to design appropriate measures not only to meet certain noise levels, but most importantly to achieve, in parallel, a high quality subjective interior noise character over the complete operating range.
In this paper the procedure adopted for optimising the NVH of a production off-road vehicle equipped with a DI-TCI diesel engine will be reported. The short time scale available for the engine and vehicle project demanded the adoption of a refined strategy which allowed, in parallel, both a low overall noise level and a high quality noise character to be achieved by feasible and cost effective methods.
This combined approach, adapted for balancing and controlling engine noise, other vehicle noise sources and vehicle response with respect to exterior and interior noise and subjective noise character, will be discussed.
|Technical Paper||E3 System – A Two speed Accessory Belt Drive System for Reduced Fuel Consumption|
|Technical Paper||Weight Savings by Aluminum Metal Foams: Production, Properties and Applications in Automotive|
CitationRust, A., Schiffbaenker, H., and Brandl, F., "Complete NVH Optimisation of a Passenger vehicle with a D. I. Diesel Engine to Meet Subjective Market Demands and Future Legislative Requirements," SAE Technical Paper 890125, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890125.
- Morrison, D. Challen B.J. Trella, T. Passenger car noise control measures and their effects on fuel economy, weight and cost SAE 800439 Detroit February 1980
- Hiereth, H. Charzinski, H.-P. Some aspects concerning noise reduction of passenger cars with diesel and gasoline engines C133/79, I.Mech.E. 1979
- Winklhofer, E. Thien, G.E. A review of parameters affecting the noise and vibration in diesel powered passenger cars SAE 850966 Traverse City May 1985
- Harting, W. Hartwig, H. Gerausch-kapseln fur Personenkraftwagen - Konzepte und Erfahrungen; VDI-Berichte Nr. 499 19 32 1983
- Thien, G.E. Brandl, F.K. Kirchweger, K. Winklhofer, E. Cars with closed engine compartment - effect upon exterior noise and passenger comfort C133/84, I.Mech.E. 1984
- Ishida, S. Kihara, R. Furubayashi, M. Development status of a small, direct-injection Diesel engine at Isuzu SAE 850068 Detroit February/March 1985
- Brandl, F.K. Affenzeller, J. Thien, G.E. Some strategies to meet future noise regulations for truck engines SAE 870950 Traverse City April 1987
- Wojik, K. Fortschritte bei der Weiter-entwicklung von schnellaufenden, direkteinsprit-zenden Dieselmotoren für PKWs; PKW-Dieselmotoren- Tagung, Essen March 1988
- Russell, H.F. Young, C.D. Measurement of Diesel combustion noise Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. Conf. ‘Autotech 85’ Birmingham October/November 1985
- Russell, M.F. Worley, S.A. Young, C.D. An analyser to estimate subjective reaction to diesel engine noise C30/88, I.Mech.E. 1988
- Erdreich, J. A distribution based definition of impulse noise J. Acoustic Soc. Am. 79 4 1986
- Crocker, M.D. The analysis and control of engine noise quality C16/88, I.Mech.E. 1988
- Remmers, H. Brennecke, W. Weber, R. Subjective valuation of industrial noise: Correlation with physical parameters 10. Intern. Congress on Acoustics, CI - 4.2 Sydney 1980
- Brandl, F.K. Schiffbänker, H. A concept for measuring subjective noise character - as a basis for more efficient vehicle noise reduction strategies 2nd International Conference on Methodology and Innovation in Automotive Experimentation Florence November 1988
- Schiffbänker, H. Berechnungsverfahren zur Erfassung der räumlichen Schwingungsbewegung eines elastisch gelagerten Zweimassensysterns Diplomarbeit (master thesis) Techn. Univ. Graz June 1979
- Friedlein, J. Kunstkopfstereophonie, ein objektives Verfahren in der Geräuschbewer-tung; VDI-Tagungsband Nr. T-30-602-058-5, Geräuschminderung an Verbrennungsmotoren 1985
- Genuit, K. Investigation and simulation of vehicle noise using the binaural measurement technique SAE 870959 Traverse City April 1987
- Zwicker, E. Psychoakustik; Hochschul-text Springer-Verlag 1982
- Heald, B.T. The use of RASTI for objectively rating speech intelligibility inside vehicles Briiel & Kjaer - internal report February 1987
- Nakamura, M. Jacobsen, T. Measurements in cars using the RASTI method Briiel & Kjaer application note BO 0244-11 1988
- Petitdidier, A. Practical investigation of noise reduction of a diesel passenger car SAE 790447 Detroit February/March 1979
- Harting, W. Moderne Gerauschminderung am Beispiel des neuen Daimler-Benz 190 D; FISITA- Kongreg, Wien 1984