This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing of Automotive Hub Units
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Methods are described for the testing of automotive hub units under quasi-static, impact, and dynamic conditions. It is shown that the overall time required to reliably determine the rolling contact fatigue life of such units can be reduced by the selection of a suitable test strategy. A strategy is described in which fifteen ‘sudden death’ groups of four units are tested simultaneously. When any one unit in a group fails, then the complete group is considered to have failed. Weibull analysis is then applied to these results to estimate the L10 life of the unit. This ‘sudden death’ strategy has a better discriminating power than a conventional ‘five failures from ten tested units’ strategy, and can be completed in a much shorter test time.
|Technical Paper||Automotive Hub Bearing Units-European Experience|
|Technical Paper||Rolling Contact Fatigue Tests of Selectively Densified Materials|
CitationBerryman, L., "Testing of Automotive Hub Units," SAE Technical Paper 890092, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890092.
- BENKTANDER S. “Modern Wheel Bearings” Automotive Technology International '88. Sterling Publ. Ltd. 0950-4400
- BERRYMAN L. “Dynamic Testing of Automotive Hub Units” 18th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation Florence May 30 June 3 1988
- GROTE P. GRENIER G. “Taking the Test Track into the Lab” Automotive Engineering June 1987 61 64
- WEIBULL W. “A Statistical Theory of the Strength of Materials” The Royal Swedish Institute for Engineering Research 1939
- ANDERSSON T. “Endurance Testing in Theory” Ball Bearing Journal 217 1983 0308-1664
- International Organisation for Standards (ISO) 7141 Road Vehicles -Wheels - Impact Test Procedure First 1981
- BRAS J.C. “Specification and Seal Development for Passenger Vehicle Wheel Bearings” SAE Passenger Car Meeting Detroit October 19-22 1987