This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling Of Brake Lining Wear For LWH Life Prediction Procedure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 22nd FISITA Congress
The prediction method for brake linings life named “Linear Wear Hypothesis” (LWH) was developed few years ago, based an short and quick lining life tests. In line with this method, a procedure for modelling the friction properties of friction material based on the theory of the design of experiments was elaborated. This investigation made possible the derivation of mathematical models describing wear of the lining and work done by the brake as a function of braking or application conditions.
The models evaluated for a typical disc brake pad and a typical drum brake lining are explained in this article, and application of such models for prediction of the friction material life with help of the LWH, as well. Experiments realized demonstrate that combining the LWH procedure with modelling technique offers real possibilities for the prediction of lining life based on the rather short and quick tests using inertia dynamometer.
|Technical Paper||Analysis for Reducing Low Frequency Squeal of Disc Brake|
|Technical Paper||Influences of Pad Backplate on Thermo-Mechnical Coupling in Disc Brake|
CitationTodorović, J., Duboka, Č., and Arsenić, Ž., "Modelling Of Brake Lining Wear For LWH Life Prediction Procedure," SAE Technical Paper 885139, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/885139.
- Todorović J. Dubaka Č. Arsenić Ž. Modelling of the tribological properties of friction materials used in motor vehicle brakes Proc. IMechE C226/87 London 1987
- Todorović J. Duboka Č. A method for prediction of brake lining life III Int. Conf. “Automobile Reliability” Prag 1981
- Duboka Č. Todorović J. Linear Wear Hypothesis for the prediction of brake lining life Proc. IMechE C15/83 London 1983
- Arsenić Ž. Duboka Č. Todorović J. Prediction of brake pad life-further development of LWH SAE Paper 860631
- Todorović J. Duboka Č. Arsenić Ž. Linear Wear Hypothesis-A method for life prediction of friction elements (in serbo-croatian) Proc. JuDEKO 87 Belgrade 1987
- Duboka Č. Arsenić Ž. Friction and wear of brake linings with regard to the bedding procedure XXI FISITA Congress/SAE Paper 865130 Belgrade
- Arsenić Ž. Investigation on prediction possibilities for functional characteristics of motor vehicle brake friction materials, Doctor thesis (in serbo-croatian) Fac. Mech. Eng. Belgrade 1986