This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Load Sharing in High Contact Ratio Truck Transmission Gearing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 22nd FISITA Congress
A special fixture and test procedure is described which measures gear tooth bending stress in high contact ratio truck transmission spur gearing. A mathematical model which includes the effects of involute profile modifications, spacing variations, crown, and lead variations is described and its results are compared to the test measurements. Finite element analysis verification and disadvantages are described. Truck transmission dynamic measurement results of gear bending stress and torque split between the two twin countershafts are reported. Conclusions include that the mathematical model bending stress results compare favorably to test measurements and the twin countershafts have nearly equal torque load and small dynamic load variations with speed.
CitationBarnett, D., Agarwal, A., and Braun, E., "Load Sharing in High Contact Ratio Truck Transmission Gearing," SAE Technical Paper 885125, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/885125.
- Cox, Anthony B. “Gear Teeth and Method of Designing the Same,” U.S. Patent No. 1,525,642 February 10 1925
- Denes, Robert “The Development of the New Generation Fuller Transmissions,” Paper Number 820496 . Society of Automotive Engineers February 1982
- Coy, J. J. Townsend, D. P. Zaretsky, E. V. “Gearing,” NASA Reference Publication 1152, and USA AVSCOH Technical Report 84-C-15 NASA Washington, D.C. 20546-0001 U.S. Army Aviation Systems Command St. Louis, MO 63120-1798 December 1985 11
- Drago, Raymond “Heavy Lift Helicopter Brings Up Drive Ideas,” Power Transmission Design March 1974 49 63
- “AGMA Standard for Rating the Pitting Resistance and Bending Strength of Spur and Helical Involute Gear Teeth,” AGMA Standard 218.01 December 1982 8 9 23
- Kelley, B. W. Pedersen, R. “The Beam Strength of Modern Gear Tooth Design,” Society of Automotive Engineers Earthmoving Conference March 26 1957
- Braun, E. R. Pitt, D. H. “A New Concept of Truck Transmission,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 199 D4 1985
- Cornell, R. W. Westervelt, W. W. “Dynamic Tooth Loads and Stressing for High Contact Ratio Spur Gears,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design 100 January 1978 69 76
- Cornell, R. W. “Compliance and Stress Sensitivity of Spur Gear Teeth,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design 103 April 1981
- Frint, Harold K. “Design and Evaluation of High Contact Ratio Gearing,” NASA Contractor Report 174958 NASA Lewis Research Center July 1986
- Savage, M. Caldwell, R. J. Wisor, G. D. Lewicki, D. G. “Gear Mesh Compliance Modeling,” NASA Technical Memorandum 88843 and USA AVSCOM Technical Report 86-C-28 NASA Washington D.C. 20546 U.S. Army Aviation Systems Command St. Louis, MO 63120 November 1986