This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test for MERCON™ World-Wide Service ATF
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test is one of the tests specified for MERCONtm service ATF. The test is now being run at independent laboratories. Passing this and other specified tests is part of the process required to obtain a licence to describe an ATF as MERCONtm.
The performance of test facilities at independent laboratories has been monitored by evaluating test data obtained with reference ATFs provided by Ford. The data so obtained, together with data obtained at Ford and other laboratories, have been used to generate a statistically significant data base. This data base has been used to better define test repeatability and reproducibility and thus provide an improved basis for monitoring the performance of test facilities.
This paper provides a summary of the test procedure, reviews the data supporting the validity of the test, and presents information on the repeatability and reproducibility of the test method.
|Technical Paper||Improvements to the Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test (ABOT) for Automatic Transmission Fluids|
|Technical Paper||Proving Ground Vehicle Corrosion Testing|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Initiator Technical Requirements and Validation|
CitationWillermet, P. and Kandah, S., "The Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test for MERCON™ World-Wide Service ATF," SAE Technical Paper 881673, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881673.
- “Dexron-II Automatic Transmission Fluid Performance”, Haviland M. L., Anderson R. L., Davison E. D., Goodwin M. C. and Osborne R. E., SAE Trans., Vol 83, paper no. 740053, 1974.
- Ford Motor Company Manufacturing Standard M2C138-CJ, February, 1976.
- Chrysler Corporation Standard MS-4228D, July, 1970.
- “The Application of Antioxidant Analysis to Transmission Fluid Testing”, Willermet P. A., Mahoney L. R., Kandah S. K. and Sever A. W., SAE Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI February 26-March 2, 1979, paper no. 790016.
- “The Prediction of ATF Service Life from Oxidation Test Data”, Willermet P. A., Mahoney L. R., Kandah S. K. and Sever A. W., SAE Special Publication SP-473, “Deterioration of Automotive Lubricants in Service”, paper no. 801363.