This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LDA Measurement of Turbulent Flow in a Motored and Firing Spark-Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To make clear the influence of a torch jet flow on the combustion process, a laser Doppler anemometer (LDA) is used to measure the mean velocity and turbulence intensity in a spark ignition engine with an unscavenged prechamber connected to a main chamber by a torch nozzle of different area sizes. The test engine is operated at a constant speed of 16.7 rps (1000 rpm), a constant volumetric efficiency of 80±2% and MBT for each torch nozzle area under firing as well as motored conditions. The LDA system is a dual beam forward scatter type, and its signals are acquired quickly and stored in a memory through a frequency tracking system. The LDA measurements are made at several locations in the main chamber.
In the present paper, the turbulence is defined as the high frequency component of velocity above a cut-off frequency (0.75 kHz), and a cycle resolved analysis is performed to obtain the mean velocity and turbulence from individual cycle. According to contour maps of the mean velocity measured under the motored and firing conditions, the mean velocities during the compression stroke are almost the same in all patterns. During the expansion stroke, however, the mean velocity and turbulence intensity in the main chamber are strongly affected by the torch jet flow, which is also considerably influenced by its cross-sectional area and operating conditions.
|Technical Paper||Correlation Between the Measured Flame Surface Density and Turbulence Parameters in Turbulent Premixed Flames|
|Technical Paper||Model Predictions for Tumble and Turbulence in SI Engine Combustion Chambers|
CitationNamekawa, S., Ryu, H., and Asanuma, T., "LDA Measurement of Turbulent Flow in a Motored and Firing Spark-Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber," SAE Technical Paper 881636, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881636.
- Lancaster, D.R Effects of Engine Variables on Turbulence in a Spark-Ignition Engine SAE paper No. 760159 1976
- Dinsdale, S. Roughton, A. Collings, N. Length Scale and Turbulence Intensity Measurements in a Motored Internal Combustion Engine SAE paper No. 880380 1988
- Rask, R.B. Comparison of Window, Smooth-Ensemble and Cycle-by-Cycle data reduction Techniques for Laser-Doppler Anemometer Measurements of In-cylinder Velocity Fluid Mech. of Combust. Systems ASME 1981
- Liou, T.M. Santavicca, D.A. Cycle Resolved Turbulence Measurements in a Ported Engine With and Without Swirl SAE paper No. 830419 1983
- Liou, T.M. Santavicca, D.A. Cycle Resolved LDV Measurements in a Motored IC engine ASME 107 June 1985
- Fansler, T.D. French, D.T. Cycle-Resolved Laser-Velocimetry Measurements in a Reentrant-Bowl-in-Piston Engine SAE paper No. 880377 1988
- Glover, A.R. Hundleby, G.E. Hadded, O. An Investigation into Turbulence in Engine using Scanning LDA SAE paper No. 880379 1988
- Fraser, R.A. Bracco, F.V. Cycle-Resolved LDV Integral Length Scale Measurements in an I.C. Engine SAE paper No. 880381 1988
- Witze, P.O. Dyer, T.M. Laser Measurement Techniques Applied to Turbulent Combustion in Piston Engine ASME 105th Winter Annual Meeting New Orleans, Louisiana Dec. 9-13 1984
- Witze, P.O. Martin, J.K. Cyclic-Variation Bias in Spark Ignition Engine Turbulence Measurement Second Intl. Symp. on Application of Laser Anemometry to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon July 2-4 1984
- Witze, P.O. Martin, J.K. Borgnakke, C. Fluid Motion during Flame Propagation in Spark Ignition Engine SAE paper No. 840377 1984
- Hall, M.J. Bracco, F.V. A Study of Velocities and Turbulence Intensities Measured in Firing and Motored Engines SAE paper, No. 870453 1987
- Obokata T. Hanada N. Kurabayashi T. Measurement of Gas Flow in a Combustion Chamber of a Small-Sized, Two-stroke S.I. engine LDA ( 2nd Report, Evaluation of Turbulence Characteristics by Stationary Time-Averaged Analysis ), JSME 1987
- Asanuma T. Obokata T. Gas Velocity Measurements of Motored and Firing Engine by Laser Anemometry SAE paper No. 790096 1979
- Iijima T. Katayama K. Asanuma T. Flow Characteristics of an Unsteady Jet Ejected into the Prechamber of an Engine Recent Advances in Laser Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion 1986
- Inamori J. Ryu H. Asanuma T. Visualization Studies of Combustion Process in a Spark Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber Journal of The Flow Visualization Society of Japan 8 30 209 214 July 1988