This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Challenge for High Performance Two-Cycle Engine Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper describes a study of the effects of oil composition on visible smoke, engine cleanliness, and piston anti-seizure performance. Two laboratory tests, termed the DSC (Differential Scanning Calorimeter) method, and the HTT (Hot Tube Test) are investigated as screening tests for two-cycle engine oils.
Two types of oil were developed to comply with stringent Japanese oil requirements. Firstly, smokeless type oils formulated, with high concentrations of polybutenes were introduced to greatly reduce visible smoke from two-cycle engines of high specific output. Secondly, low-friction oils containing ester type synthetic base stocks were developed to achieve higher engine output in racing applications.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Base Oil on Two-Cycle Engine Oil Performances|
|Technical Paper||The Lubricant Contribution to Improved Fuel Economy in Heavy Duty Diesel Engines|
CitationKagaya, M. and Ishimaru, M., "A New Challenge for High Performance Two-Cycle Engine Oils," SAE Technical Paper 881619, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881619.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Kurosawa H. “Motorcycle” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 41 6 112 1987
- Matsumoto R. “Two-Cycle Gasoline Engine and its Oil Requirement” Giken Information Center Tokyo November 1986
- Sugiura K. Kagaya M. “A Study of Visible Smoke Reduction from a Small Two-Stroke Engine Using Various Engine Lubricants” SAE Paper 770623
- Maeda T. Tanabe T. Maeda Y. Tamura K. “Evaluation of Lubricants for Japanese Small Air-Cooled Two-Cycle Engines” SAE Paper 790076
- Yashiro Y. “Reduction of Exhaust Smoke and Carbon Deposit at Exhaust Port in Two-Stroke Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 871216
- Kagaya M. “Trends of Two-Cycle Engine Oils” PETROTECH 11 3 207 1988
- Ohkawa S. Seto K. Nakashima T. Takase K. “ ‘ Hot Tube Test ’ - Analysis of Lubricant Effect on Diesel Engine Scuffing” SAE Paper 840262