This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Catalyst Performance Study Using Taguchi Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study was conducted to determine the effects of various factors on the performance characteristics of aged monolithic catalytic converters. The factors that were evaluated were catalyst volume, converter configuration (number of elements), catalyst supplier, “washcoat technology”, rhodium loading, platinum loading, and palladium loading. This study was also designed to evaluate the interactions among the various factors. To improve the efficiency of the study a 2-level fractional factorial experiment was designed using the Taguchi method. That made it possible to study the effects of the seven main factors and six interactions by evaluating only 16 different samples. The study helped sort the factors that had significant effects and helped quantify their effect on catalyst performance. This paper details the methodology used to design the experiment and analyze the results.
CitationSims, G. and Johri, S., "Catalyst Performance Study Using Taguchi Methods," SAE Technical Paper 881589, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881589.
- Otto N.C. LeGray W.L. “Mathematical Model for Catalytic Converter Performance” Sae Publication 800841 1980 Society of Automotive Engineers
- Blackmond D.G. Williams J.A. Kesraoui S. Blazewick D.S. “The Effect of Cs, Promotion on Rh/Al 2 O 3 Catalysts” J. of Catalysis 101 496 504 1986
- Su E.C. Montreuil C.N. Rothschild W.G. “Oxygen Storage Capacity of Monolith Three-Way Catalysts” Applied Catalysis 17 75 86 1985
- Ihara K. Ohkubo K. Niura Y. “Thermal Effect on Three-Way Catalysts Deactivation and Improvement”
- Bournonville JP. Frank JP. Martino G. “Aging of Catalytic Reforming Catalysts” 7th National Symposium on Advances in Catalysis Science and Technology bby the Catalysis Society of India Feb. 6-8 1985
- Kellog G. L. “The Oxidation of Rhodium Field-Emitter Surfaces During the CO Oxidation Reaction” J. of Catalysis 92 167 172 1985
- Hegedus L. L. Baron K. “Phosphorus Accumulation in Automotive Catalysts” J. of Catalysis 54 115 119 1978
- Williamson W.B. Perry J. Ghandhi H.S. Bomback J.L. “Effects of Oil Phosphorus on Deactivation of Monolithic Three-Way Catalysts” Applied Catalysis 15 277 292 1985
- Angele B. Kirchner K. “The Poisoning of Noble Metal Catalysts by Phosphorus Compounds” Chemical Engineering Science 35 2089 2091 1980
- Taguchi G. “System of Experimental Design” 1 American Supplier Institute Inc. Dearbourn Mi. 1987
- Taguchi G. “Systems of Experimental Design” 2 American Supplier Institute Inc. Dearborn, Mi. 1987
- Taguchi G. “Introduction to Quality Engineering” American Supplier Institute Inc. Dearborn, Mi. 1986