This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New High Speed Light Duty DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new concept of a light duty high speed DI diesel engine is introduced, having the following main features:
- multi-orifices / high swirl combustion system
- electronically controlled high pressure unit injectors with modulated injection
- outside engine housing shells carrying all the auxiliaries and the gearbox being acoustically isolated from the “power module”.
- integrated cylinder head and block(“MONOBLOC”)
In a turbocharged vehicle version the specific power is about 35 kW/l; in an intercooled marine version more than 47 kW/l.
A detailed description of the acoustical concept and of the injectors and combustion system is given.
The progress in improving engine noise, exhaust emissions and the potentials for further improvements are discussed.
On the example of a new light duty high speed DI engine which had been developed by the Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG (SDP) a review will be given on the results which can be obtained applying technologies of todays state of the art.
CitationFreudenschuss, O., "A New High Speed Light Duty DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 881209, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881209.
- VISEK, T. April 1984
- ULRICH, W. FREUDENSCHUSS, O. SCHMIDT, H. 1985
- FREUDENSCHUSS O. HERDIN, G. 1986
- EGGER, E. Dezember 1986
- VISEK, T. 1988 2
- HERDIN, G. HOFER, K. SCHREINER, E. 1988 9
- CHALLEN, B.J. CROCKER, M.J. A Review of Recent Progress in Diesel Engine Noise Reduction SAE 820517
- SCHMILLEN, K. Aachen 1983
- FREUDENSCHUSS O. HERDIN G. SCHREINER E. SCHMIDT H. “Fuel injection nozzle for combustion engines” Dec. 29 1987
- ATHENSTAEDT, G. HERZOG, P. NORABERG, J. Combustion Improvement Potential through the use of Split Injection CIMAC 1987
- MAYER, W.J. LECHMANN, D.C. MILDEN, D.L. The Contribution of Engine Oil to Diesel Exhaust Particulates Emissions SAE 800256