This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electronic lateral Control of Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Following a short discussion of the differences, advantages and fields of application of track bounded and individually moving vehicles, a historical survey is given about the activities undertaken to develop “dual-model” vehicles.
The development and use of busses with electronic lateral control based on the use of a pilot cable is described. Due to the high priority of safety special emphasis is laid on:
- the controller, being responsible for a comfortable and safe guidance along the nominal track
- the safety concept to overcome failures in the lateral control system.
The use of laterally controlled busses in Fürth/West Germany during 1985 is described. This includes work to develop switches and crossings necessary to built net-like structures, and future control strategies to improve the trackfollowing- behaviour of vehicles with electronic lateral control.
CitationWeidemann, W., "Electronic lateral Control of Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 881166, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881166.
- Darenberg, W “Automatische Spurführung von Kraftfahrzeugen.” Automobil-Industrie 1987 155 159
- Zimdal, W “Regelungstechnische Probleme beim leitkabelgeführten Kraftfahrzeug.” 1971
- Schmidt, A. Faller, R. Pöttig, W. “Elektronisch gelenkter Bus.” ELEKTRONIK 1984
- Metzler, H.G. “Computer Vision Applied to Vehicle Operation” SAE Future Transportation Technology Meeting San Francisco 1988