This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Coal Fueled Diesel Developments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Coal-fueled diesel engines hold the promise of operating on a cheap, domestically abundant fuel in a wide range of applications. The technical challenges appear to be solvable by existing or near-term developments. The successful application of a coal-fueled diesel engine will require the simultaneous development of a fuel source, engine combustion, wear and emission control systems, and the support infrastructure in the operating environment. Recent studies show that a coal water mixture fueled diesel locomotive can be economically attractive at reasonable oil price levels.
|Technical Paper||New Mitsubishi V8 20 Liter Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Low-Emission, Dedicated Ethanol-Fuel Vehicle with Cold-Start Distillation System|
|Technical Paper||Exergetic analysis of compressed air for vehicular propulsion|
CitationFlynn, P. and Hsu, B., "Coal Fueled Diesel Developments," SAE Technical Paper 881159, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881159.
- Hapeman, M.J. Savkar, S.D. “Economic Assessment of Coal-Burning Diesel Locomotives”
- “Data Resources Review of the U.S. Economy” McCraw Hill New York August 1987
- “Monthly Energy Review” U.S. Department of Energy Washington, D.C. September 1987
- Leonard, G.L. Fiske, G.H. “Combustion Characteristics of Coal Water Mixtures in a Simulated Medium Speed Diesel Engine Environment,” ASME Paper 86-ICE-15
- Hsu, B.D. “Progress on the Investigation of Coal Water Slurry Fuel Combustion in a Medium Speed Diesel Engine, Part I. Ignition Studies,” ASME Paper 88-ICE-4
- Hsu, B.D. “Progress on the Investigation of Coal Water Slurry Fuel Combustion in a Medium Speed Diesel Engine. Part II. Preliminary Full Load Test,” ASME Paper 88-ICE-5
- Leonard, G.L. Fiske, G.H. “A Comparison of a Positive Displacement Fuel Injection System With an Accumulator Based System For Coal Fueled Diesel Engine Applications,” ASME Paper 87-ICE-32
- Mehan, R. “Wear of Selected Materials in Mineral Oil Containing a Solid Contaminant,” Wear 124 1 65 85