This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stabilizing the Steering Weave Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The steering weave mode is explained with the aid of slip angle diagrams and a third order mathematical model. Nonlinear simulations show why the weave mode is not noticed during normal driving, and that it is worse with large amplitude maneuvers beyond the linear range of lateral tire force curves. A steering stabilizing method is described, in which transient torques are applied to the steering system using feedback from the instantaneous dynamic state of the vehicle. The steering stabilizer operates by reducing the phase difference between steer angle and steering torque, thereby damping the weave mode and reducing overshoot. The driver has a better torque feel, and the vehicle is more stable if the driver releases the steering wheel, both of which are expected to be beneficial. Suggestions for implementing the steering stabilizer are described.
CitationWhitehead, J., "Stabilizing the Steering Weave Mode," SAE Technical Paper 881136, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881136.
- Segel, L. An Investigation of Automobile Handling as Implemented by a Variable-Steering Automobile Human Factors 6 4 333 341 1964
- Repa, B.S. Alexandridis A.A. Howell L.J. Wierwille W.W. The Influence of Vehicle Control Dynamics on Driver-Vehicle Performance Proceedings of the 5th IAVSD Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles 1977
- Jaksch, F. Driver-vehicle Interaction with Respect to Steering Controllability Proceedings of the 5th IAVSD Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles 1977
- Maeda Teruo Irie Namio Hidaka Kunihiko Nishimura Hiroaki Performance of Driver-Vehicle System in Emergency Avoidance SAE 770130 1977
- Segel, L. On the Lateral Stability and Control of the Automobile as Influenced by the Dynamics of the Steering System 1965 ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry August 1966
- Jaksch, F. Handling and Stability: Volvo's Experimental Safety Car SAE 730591 1973
- Whitehead, J. C. Four Wheel Steering: Maneuverability and High Speed Stabilization SAE 880642 1988
- Whitehead, J. C. Response and Stability of Rear Wheel Steering Vehicles 1988 ASME Winter Annual Meeting